Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm monitoring question

Options
  • 03-04-2024 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've inherited a vintage HKC 1070 Alarm system with my new house. All wired sensors, etc. Works great. Just wondering whether any of you guys know any decent companies that would add monitoring to such a beast? Or would I be better off getting a new modern system in? Again, recommendations would be welcome for new system installers.

Location is Roscommon.

I'm drawn to getting a 4th rifle, so I kinda need a monitored alarm to be compliant.

Thanks,

alanmc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brieny1000

Unless you have a restricted firearm Monitored _maintained alarm is 6 or more firearms

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Will all depend on what add-on's/components are included. Has it got the GSM dialler. Google your local alarm companies and zero in on one who installs HKC systems, and start there. By the way do not give up the hardwired system (in favour of a wireless/WiFi system). Monitoring and a maintenance contract can be had nowadays for way less than €30 per month.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rifter

Ive actually been on to Phonewatch and HomeSecure just this week. I also have a HKC system. They would not just provide monitoring with my existing system. In both cases I had to take their systems and lose my existing alarm. Im interested in a 4th firearm myself.

I dont want to lose the existing hard wired system so Im guessing I'm out of luck and will just have to hope my existing system will satisfy for the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Phonewatch, HomeSecure, Verisure and the likes are scams, and lock you into their own systems and merchandise. Go independent installer and monitoring. Little bit of research can save you "millions"

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

I have used Cuala for the last 20 years with no issues. They are no the cheapest on the market but there is no bu**s**t and any minor issues were always dealt with without any fuss. Not sure if they cover Roscommon though.

Upgraded my alarm about 3 years ago to their newer system with new panels and hardware etc. The app they use is great and between that and a few blink cameras that I installed myself, I never have a concern about not knowing what is going on in the place when I'm away.

Kept the old alarm wiring as no issue at all with it and no batteries to wear down but needed a new remote sensor for the safe and the front and back doors.

Phonewatch, Verisure - I agree with TonyS, would not touch them with a ten foot. You'll be locked in with them and won't get the service you could expect from a smaller scale operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

Not a fan of Phonewatch or the likes either. I'll see what I can rustle up in the way of l9cal alarm companies.

Not sure if my current syst has a GSM dialler. I was in the box a few months ago changing out the backup battery. Didn't notice any daughter boards.I'll take a look again this weekend when I have the time.

Thanks for the information lads. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

If you go to the alarms thread and look for Altor security he will sort you out. I have been using them for about 8 years now as have many friends and family. They are an agent for HKC so could advise you on your options

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bmmb88

ISA group are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

Altor Alarms. Cannot recommend them enough, but not sure if they operate outside of the greater Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

I live in the midlands and they came out to install a few years ago and only this year came back out to service my alarm

• Advertisement
Advertisement