Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave Job after a couple of months

Options
  • 03-04-2024 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently started a new job,everyone is very nice and they are putting alot of effort into training me, however I'm not 100% sure if the role is for me.

I have been offered another job, it is a more senior role, will give me experience managing a team which my current role doesn't.

My issue is I don't know how to hand in my notice, I feel guilty that I have wasted thier time. I know they will get over it but I hate letting people down. I don't want to stay for a couple of years and be in the same position I'm in now, there is no potential for advancement in the current role.

Any advice on how to approach this?

Thanks LL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Hand in your notice. If the other job is in your opinion a better opportunity then surely it makes sense to take it. You can't let the fact that you don't like to dissapoint people to get in the way of your own happiness. I've seen many friends over the years make terrible life decisions because they didn't want to let someone down, if it was to go study what their parents wanted them to study, break up in a relationship that clearly wasn't working and I've seen friends in your position end up not making the progression they wanted because they felt some sort of obligation to their employer.

Look after yourself first.

I’d nearly say you’re wasting both your and their time more by hanging around with a view to heading out the door anyway.

I think you’re better to go with the job you’re more interested in than stay with a place you just don’t want to be in! I’ve done that before and it’s never going to do anything than wreck your head OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Ted222

You’re leaving for very genuine reasons so I wouldn’t feel bad. Your first responsibility is always to yourself.

I had the same experience in my first job. Boss was disappointed I was leaving as I had just been trained up and working at full tilt. He could of course have offered me significant pay rise to stay but strangely, his disappointment didn’t stretch that far…….

I doubt you’re the first person they will ever have had to resign. They’ll get past this quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ThePentagon

Think about what would happen if the roles were reversed - if your employers found a better candidate or if they concluded you weren't up to their requirements, they would have no problem releasing you. Take the better job and don't look back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The roles would not be reversed because it costs time and money to recruit people so employers are not continuously on the look out or making any effort to replace their current staff unless a person has proved to be very unsuitable and even then there is a process to be gone through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

People leave jobs all the time for various reasons, so there is no need to. be feeling guilty about it. In fact it would be better for them to find out now than after having put even more effort into your on boarding. So if you want to leave don't hesitate, at the end of the day you have to do what is best for you and those who depend on you, if there are any.

The bit I don't get is your last sentence:

I don't want to stay for a couple of years and be in the same position I'm in now, there is no potential for advancement in the current role.

If you were seeking a chance for career advancement, why did you take the job in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

What they implied I would be required to do is not what I am being asked to do now that I am on the role. The person who is my manager seems to be taking on these responsibilities, and wants to give me less challenging tasks. I don't mind doing both, bit at the moment I don't feel I'm being challenged.

I appreciate everyone's advise and opinion.

LL

Advertisement