Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone go for any preventative surgery for Breast Cancer?

Options
  • 03-04-2024 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

So ive been going to get my breast checked for the past 10 years privately due to my family history of it. My mum, aunt (mum's sister) and my dad's mother have all had it. im. coming up to the age my mother was when she had it. I looked into getting the braca Gene test done but was told if you are found to be positive your health insurance could be hiked up and my mom said she didn't want to go ahead with it. I agreed. Anyhow due to be nearing my mothers age I have been seeing my consultant yearly for the last 3/4 years. Ive been told I can get my ovaries removed but was recommended to wait until my kids are a bit older. they are currently 3 and 6.

Anyhow what my question is has anyone had this surgery done before or know anyone that has had it done and could you tell me about it. im hoping to get it done in 2 years. I'm finished having my babies so im happy to get them removed. Dont' think ill go as far as having my womb removed though as know it is a bigger surgery and can take longer to recover from.

Thanks

Advertisement