Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long since cafes have been charging extra for tea/ Coffee with Breakfast !

Options
  • 03-04-2024 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

I went for breakfast during last week , not a big event, but it was the first time I have ever been charged extra for coffee?

I asked some lads I work with is this normal, said yes in a good few places it is?

Since when did this happen, its bad enough hotels now charge you extra for breakfast !

What is the world coming to????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It tends to be restaurants and cafes with filtered coffee that give you the coffee or the leaky wee teapot with breakfast, if its a proper espresso machine you tend to pay for that separately. Maybe not so much in Dublin, Cork and Galway now I still see this up North West of the country with the filtered free coffee with breaky.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

A recent scam post COVID.

Toast was extra in one place……

vote with your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Coffee was always extra with breakfast unless it's sh1t pre made coffee or instant , you usually would get a pot of tea with a full Irish etc for free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

If breakfast is included in your hotel stay, it says so when you book it.

A drink has always been extra in cafes/restaurants, unless specifically stated otherwise on the menu - generally in very cheap places.

I dont think anything has changed on this front.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Most Hotels I remember Breakfast was always included, then a few years back you started to see it as an optional extra.

As for the Tea/ Coffee, honestly I have only noticed it in very recent weeks ! Most places fair enough if your getting a latte or something, but the bog standard tea or coffee was always part of the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The place where I go has been charging extra for coffee for quite a while. Tea comes with the breakfast. It's a very nice fry so don't mind too much.

Where are these cafes you are going to that give free coffee? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

Go to Dunnes. Coffee/Tea, toast and three item breakfast for €5.50 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What I've noticed with the place's that charge for extra coffee, is you get served your coffee as soon as you order, so it's gone by the time the food arrives, and it's then suggested you might like another cup, the solution is to ask for the coffee with or after the food

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There's a deli in Kilgarvan, Co. Kerry that does a sit down breakfast, I don't eat black or white pudding so they throw in extra sausages or anything else you want. So the deal is two eggs, 3 sausages, 3-4 rashers, 2 hash browns, mushrooms, beans, 2 toast (brown or white), Kerrygold butter, jam, marmalade plus your choice of a free tea or coffee from the Bewleys machine for 8.50 all in.

The coffee on its own would normally be 2.90. The breakfast deal was only 7.50 up until 2 months ago, I didn't bother complaining when it went up a euro.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Not a fan of when you order a coffee with food and the coffee comes a minute later while the food is 10 minutes coming. Coffee gone or cold by the time your food arrives. Asking for it to come with the food seems to break the flow in a lot of cafes and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭YellowLead

In my ideal scenario the coffee would come after the food. But before is better than during - I couldn’t drink coffee and eat food at the same time (unless it was dessert) - I’d drink water or orange juice etc while actually eating a breakfast. But I might be alone in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,534 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Toast and tea is included in any cafe I use on a regular basis. Often ask not to have the toast, don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I find the more "greasy spoon" or traditional style cafe still includes tea and coffee with breakfast whereas more brunch style places (ie places that serve Eggs Benedict, avocado toast etc) charge separately for beverages

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

we need more “greasy spoons” I like the simple cafe type places. Full Irish for 10 or 12 euro with a cup of Barry’s.

Rather than the 19 euro for Avocado smash shite with exploited coffee labour/skinny latte with a side order of smug

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Its more about of the flow of cash in their direction than tje work flow. Get people spending asap and keep them spending. Its the same in some restaurants..As soon as you are given the menu they ask for drinks orders and then may have.ong wait to get them back to take food orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bartkingcole

what is shocking is that you don’t eat black pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

That must be a price from aeons ago.e8.50 for a full irish breakfast.I thought e12 is minimum anywhere today

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Lots to be honest. I would only drink regular coffee, so maybe that is why I have not noticed, but honest to god nearly every place I go its tea and coffee included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

If they've got those horrible big sausages they can keep their breakfast.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Last time I got a cooked breakfast the coffee was included. There was an option for chips or hash browns. Went with the latter and got a single slightly underdone hash brown. Opportunity for a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

local place near me is 10 euro for a fry, toast, and even homemade brown bread, tea/coffee.
    Bargain

That was never complimentary with breakfast or at least not a freshly brewed one , stuff sitting an hour in a machine probably a different story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Genghis

Almost impossible these days to find anywhere that offers filter coffee.

As long as a place is busy and turning the coffee over, there is nothing wrong with filter coffee. I fondly remember places in the USA that would top up your filter coffee, always freshly brewed. Here it was once a thing in hotel breakfast rooms but less and less so.

Only place I know of now that does filter coffee is Starbucks. I guess they only do it as a condition of their franchise because they don't advertise it and look at you with pained face when you ask for it.

I always order it, they always say 'that will take about 15 mins, would you like to change your order', and I always say no, happy to wait (its more like 5 mins). About 50c cheaper, always fresh because they never expect to sell it, and nicer imho than often burnt americano they serve.

Nothing like a huge mug of it, and I say that as someone who generally loves a proper barista coffee.

There's a place in The Curragh that has the tea and coffee included in the breakfast price but coffee is specified as Americano. Anything else (presume Latte, Cappuccino is extra)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I used love it as a child until one day my eldest brother told me at the table how it was actually made, I was shocked and had to ask my mam and dad was he telling the truth. He got what was left on my plate which was what he set out to achieve and I never ate it since.

You wouldn't mind but it's now 50 years later and a very good friend of mine produces a unique top rated version that I actively promote and give as a gift to foodie people I know. I shoot, clean, skin and butcher deer, love venison and still can't enjoy pudding since that day.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement