Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to cycling.

Options
  • 02-04-2024 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of picking up cycling again. It's been over 10 years if not more since I had my last ride on a road bike. Much older, heavier with more aches and pains and fkd up back. My mate teased me with his new back few months ago, some giant model, he paid 3k and if I can remember Shimano 105 or one below group set. And it was shocking for me to see that for this amount of money you get so little and that after quick search anything higher and the price quickly escalates to 5k+. Last time I had anything to do with road bike it was around Ultegra 6700 groupset and if memory serves well a 3k budget meant a decent bike (but maybe that's just how I want to remember these times and not how it actually was back then). I'm not saying I need top end or anything like that as I started on some cheap bike many years ago, moved to 105 and ended up with ultegra and that was more or less what I would ever aim to spend. Now that I started thinking about new bike (I got no cycling gear left) I feel out of touch with the market and what's a good value for money. Judging by my reaction to my friends new bike and it's price 3k would probably be the max I'd like to pay for a bike today. Being extremely unfit at the moment with back issues I don't think I will be doing any crazy rides, but would love to do Sally Gap again one day. So the question is now what should I look for, trekking, gravel bike ? What group set range is worth investing in - is todays Tiagra like Ultegra 10 years ago ? Should I bother with electric ? I overheard in one of the cade media podcasts that sales are down and brands like Trek or Giant are struggling with sales - so is it a good time to buy a bike or should I wait bit longer - also are any of the Decathlon bikes a decent value/quality. I know it's a rather broader post and I ask many different questions but I feel pretty disconnected from cycling in general and would like to take my time to consider the best option before buying anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

There are lots of great 2nd hand bargains to be had, but first you need to realistically evaluate your situation and mid term goals. A bike fit is a must, especially as you have a bad back. Don't get too carried away with spec etc. All of the current groupsets have trickle down technology and you'll notice a big difference to your old Ultegra 6700!!
    At this stage your main priority is to get out there. You can tweak and upgrade as you go along, but nothing will re-connect you to cycling again than actually getting out there!!
    To kick off, have a look at both Adverts.ie and Donedeal and see if there's anything that takes your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭MangleBadger

I would start with 105. It is brilliant groupset. I haven't used Tiagra but there is a massive upgrade from 105 to Sora.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭omri

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭MangleBadger

I meant the other way around. Upgrading from Sora to 105.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭seanin4711

gravel bike - safer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

He's not that old surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LeoD

I was a bit like you (OP) - it'd been over 10 years since I had done serious mileage - only dipping in and out for sporadic spins since 2012 so felt I needed to change my bike to see if it would re-ignite some flame inside! Was shocked at how bike prices and tech have changed in the last 10 years and without doing too much research (went to local bike shop) got myself an Orbea Orca M30 (€2,599) - seemed really good value compared to what was available from Giant and Trek. My last bike (Giant TCR) was €3,300 back in 2009 so didn't want to spend that much again. Had to change a couple of things to get the setup right - stem and seat post - so the fit is grand now. It's 12 speed and maybe it's the broader cassette range I'm using now but I find the 105 shifting a bit clunky compared to the Ultegra on my old bike. I think it looks great but I'm still not in love with the new fangled brake tech and thru-axle wheels. And despite all that, still hasn't lit any fire inside so it just sits about the place most of the time!

https://www.orbea.com/ie-en/bicycles/road/orca/cat/orca-m30-2024

ps: Forgot to mention the tubeless tyres also. Heard they were the next greatest thing but ended up with a flat on my 3rd ride when the tyre just leaked out the side. Wasn't equipped to fix the problem on the side of the road so had to call for assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What size are you?

Fabulous bargains around second hand. You could have the dream pro bike of your younger years with dura ace for similar money to your mate's Giant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I bought an Orca M30 witha Shimano 105 groupset back in 2020 and have done about 40,000km on it in all kinds if weather and both commuting and leisure cycling. Great bike despite the colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. The reason why I asked about group sets is more to get an idea if despite tech going forward, brands simply bumped the prices and you're paying a lot in each bracket while performance of each one doesn't differ to justify the extra spend. Or maybe it does. My concern is also that the bike might not excite me enough to turn it into passion as it used to be hence I'm questioning what the budget should be. I have a feeling that the difference of 15 years and 40 kilos today compared to my hay days will be the joy killer no matter what bike I get.

6'4" - 100kg - last time I tried to go back to cycling after couple of years of nothing, it was a horrible experience. I sure had the muscle memory and good intentions but my body couldn't keep up with the extra weight. We're looking at 30kg extra at that time and now it's even more than that 😮. The bike no longer fit me. I mean I used to do 10k km a year on the same saddle that killed me after 20 min. So instead of a racing bike I feel I need more relaxed frame (endurance/gravel). Ideally it needs to be as comfortable as possible but still give me a feeling I can relate to being on a road bike.

What's the best way to pick the type. Would any of the bigger shops let me try various frames in their parking lot? Or is it just the case of correct fit and geometry of the frame won't make that much of a difference in the end ?

Do you have a matching vest ? ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you have a matching vest ? ;)

Boards jerseys didn't come in orange 😥...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Many moons ago, they actually did, see below from an old advert here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'd be less concerned about the group set than the comfort. Saddle that's a good fit for your current build, wider tyres, low easy gear for the hills etc… Something that will be a pleasure to ride rather than a hardship. My current bike is a gravel setup with brooks saddle, 32c tyres and an 11/34 cassette. Wonderful bike for long leisurely spins on roads, fire-roads, canal paths and pretty much everything else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Similar to @omri, going to give it a go again, I think 😀. Last significant ride was “Temporary Fever Hospital Audax”, January 2017. Been out for a few spins since then but nothing over about 50k I reckon. Extending, slowly, my commutes home. New tyres and bits in the post arriving this week for my Thorn Audax bike.

Currently riding my Surly DT coming in at 17+kg with one pannier. Went up the Vico rd. yesterday on that. That had the heart popping!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LeoD

Ha - when I was looking for a new bike my number one criteria was that it must not be black as so many bikes and kit is black and boring. My preference would have been for orange as I like orange clothing when cycling so had visions of looking like Euskaltel–Euskadi on the road but there wasn't an orange Orbea/Giant/Trek available in my price bracket in 2024. In the end I bought a black bike. 🙄

To the OP, my only advice would be to get a bike you really like the look of. Might sound a bit daft but I wouldn't be too worried about equipment, tech spec, etc. Most bikes will feel more or less the same once you set them up right so nothing wrong with being shallow like me and going mainly on aesthetics.

Youre so right. I just checked websites of few brands and color schemes of the frames on offer are just awful - what happened to cycling industry ? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭blackbox

A nice comfy electric bike would be the business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

@LeoD 100% with "To the OP, my only advice would be to get a bike you really like the look of. Might sound a bit daft but I wouldn't be too worried about equipment, tech spec, etc. Most bikes will feel more or less the same once you set them up right so nothing wrong with being shallow like me and going mainly on aesthetics."

i bought a bike years ago and went for the colour I didn't love (better price/spec), and I always regretted it. The bike was perfect but I just couldn't let that go. You'll always ride the one you like the look of more, that is just a fact of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hesperus

14 years since I was on the road and have signed up for the Wicklow 200 and ring of Beara. Have decided to get the old bike tuned up - but have similar questions as you have re new bike gear and tech… and current bike costs!! My advice is get set up indoors and improve your fitness levels, that has given me confidence to hit the road again, my theory being if the legs and lungs are improving I can work on the tech later. Good luck.

Advertisement