Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constantly cutting my tongue after getting cavities filled

Options
  • 02-04-2024 5:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently had my cavities filled with raisin but now I am constantly cutting my tongue and my jaw also feels a little weird when fully fully closed and when I am biting down hard. What are my options and how can I get it fixed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

go back to the dentist that did it. Was it done in Ireland or elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

raisin=resin? You need to go back to the dentist who filled your cavities.Did the dentist not file down the filling after bedding in the filling? You should have had a bite and chew test before getting out of the chair-the dentist inserts a small pad between your teeth where the new filling is and asks you to bite- more than once/new pad each time if necessary.A chew test mean you pretend to chew something while the dentist holds a pad between your upper and lower teeth to check for indentations which will tell the dentist how close your teeth are meeting.This ensures the new filling is at the right level-your upper and lower teeth meet exactly.If,your tongue is being cut it means the new filling has not been filed to remove sharp edges.The dentist should have done all the above.Go back,there should be no extra charge.They have not correctly completed your tooth repair.I would advise not biting too hard on anything for 24 hrs after a filling is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Firstly, composite resin is light cured, it has therefore fully set by the time you get up off the chair, so op, ignore the advice on biting hard things for 24 hrs.

Op, if the teeth were fractured/decayed before the Dentist repaired them, they may have needed quite extensive build up, it can take time to adapt to the new shape of the filling, particularly if the shape of the tongue-side walls has changed.

If the filling is too smooth, you will struggle to chew on it, the cusps/bumps of your teeth should be retained/rebuilt, again it can take time to get used to these new/repaired shapes, so it is not unusual to give your tongue the odd nip, especially if a couple of teeth have been filled, it certainly does not mean the fillings were done incorrectly as everyone’s bite and chewing patterns are different.

Do give your Dentist a call, it may be necessary to adjust the cusp heights on the tongue side of the teeth, or you may just need reassurance that extensive work/changes have been done to your teeth and it may just take a period to get used to the new shapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Report of sharp edges.Jaw feeling weird.Not professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What report of sharp edges? You are offering advice on something you very obviously know nothing about, amateur.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement
Advertisement