Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEAI One Stop Shops- Recommendations & Reviews

Options
  • 01-04-2024 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I'm based in Meath.

I'm overwhelmed with combination of the number of One Stop Shops approved by the SEAI and the utter lack of information I can find out about any of them except that they exist. I'm looking at some upgrades, but I don't want to just pick a OSS randomly which is where it's currently heading.

I also don't want to pay multiple OSS providers €500 a pop for the privilege of getting a price estimate from them.

I'd be very grateful if anyone who has had upgrades through a OSS could share their experience with me. I think the forum charter forbids sharing of names, so if you could post your experiences here and say if you're OK with getting a PM asking for the name of the OSS you dealt with.

If you could give a rough outline of what you got done and (if possible itemised) what it set you back that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RenovateKate

Any update on this? Did you find a OSS in Meath that you are happy with?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭SeanieRetrofitter

No.

One technical assessor phoned by appointment and then spent about 20 minutes harassing me with details as to why i had to spend tens of thousands of euro- like wouldn't even contemplate the possibility of doing less than everything.... I eventually said thank you and goodbye and hung up.

The second company sent a guy out who had a good look around and said he'd come back to me with a quote. That was almost a month ago and nothing heard since.

I got a B2 from my BER assessment after my solar panel install, so the rating upgrade is irrelevant to me.

I don't mind companies making a profit, but I'm not getting screwed so they can make an unreasonable margin. I'll probably end up just diy-ing the last couple of bits and pieces again.

Ironically my B2 rules me out of the full OSS now anyway- it's individual grants or nothing from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

@SeanieRetrofitter Have you considered getting someone experienced and independent in to actually test (not assess) your house for actual heat loss mechanisms and then make practical recommendations based on the results of the test to significantly reduce your heat loss and make a real difference to your comfort and pocket?

I.e. Don't let the grants tail wag the heat loss dog.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but what would the heat loss survey reveal that a technical assessment wouldn't?

Or common sense? My house is warm anyway as I've done a lot with it already, but it seems obvious to me that the remaining room for improvement is more attic insulation, heating controls, improved air tightness (a couple of remaining leaks which only matter when it's seriously windy) and ventilation.

I'm just not seeing the benefit of the survey as compared to the assessment. It seems like just an alternative (rather than better) route to the same destination.

• Advertisement
Advertisement