Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to get with 3rd child on the way

Options
  • 31-03-2024 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi all, hoping some in a similar situation might be able to help

Currently we have 2 kids under 3 and another on the way in June.

We have a BMW 4 series M Sport which will no longer be large enough. We love the Discovery Sport but worried it may no fit 3 baby seats and conscious parts and maintenance may be even more expensive than the 4 series.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Luna84

Vasectomy is where to start…. 🤣

Aren't those Range Rovers meant to be very easy to steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

We've 3 kids, and were in your situation 7 years ago. Got a Grand Picasso which allowed 3 seats across the back. Not the sexiest of cars, but served us really well - especially the extra seats in the boot when taking their friends on playdates.

Maybe not the answer you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Hmmm your options for 3 full iso fix across back switch are probably limited to something french (Renault/Peugeot/Citroen) or I think one of the larger Skoda SUV (Kodiaq) might support that. Landrover Discovery (not sport) has three across the back according to google, but it would be different budget level altogether.

There's also adaptors that are available for some cars that converts 2 iso fix into 3. I know brother in law has one in a Santa Fe

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭digitalsystem

If you want to keep your current car, consider a Multimac. I have one for the last few years, no problems with it and they have a decent resale value on donedeal. Brexit has made it more expensive to get delivered but if you have any family/friends in the north they might be able to help https://www.multimac.com/home

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good luck getting a multimac into the rear of a 4 Series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

Ford SMax is a good shout.

There is a land rover which will fit 3 seats in the back (2iso & 1 seat belt) similar to the verso.

With this approach you will have to buy slimline car seats to fit in property

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

If you want to stay with BMW, the 2 series grand tourer may be worth a look.

Do you have a budget in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

I'm in the same boat myself, 3rd child on the way in August, so interested to read people's opinions. My budget isn't huge so I'm looking at 2010-2012 age. I've been interested in the Qashqai plus 2, Santa Fe and the Honda Stream. Qashqai is appealing because there are a huge abundance of them for sale and the tax bracket is very low for the 1.5 DCI, but I've read that they are already very rust prone, especially the rear suspension components/subframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

We have 3 kids and have a Ford S-Max. 2nd row has three individual seats and all combinations, of group 0,1,3 seats fit with no problem. You will also need a large boot with the S-Max or any MPV has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭djan

I was sceptical too but looks like the smaller 3 seat multimac fits the 4 series as long as its the 5 door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Look up Ireland - Rear Facing Car Seats - they have a listing of all cars that fit 3 seats across and the different seats that fit. When we went to three kids we bought an Octavia and it's a lovely car with a big boot. A few years later we bought a Ford S-Max and I'd recommend the bigger car if your budget would afford it. It's just easier to get the kids into the bigger car but I still think the Octavia is a lovely car (and we still have it).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My sister has 3 smallies and got a Peugeot 5008 as it has 3 isofix mounts. Really nice car

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Frankie19

You will need the 7 seater Discovery Sport to get 3 child seats. I had the 5 seater and unless one of the seats is a booster with no back then it it won't fit.

Advertisement