Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Fit Query

Options
  • 31-03-2024 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Returner cycler here bought a bike in November had a profesional fit in December and still had some issues getting pain on what I would describe as the underside of my knee cap.

From reseraching on the net this issue seemed that my saddle height was too high.

Went out Friday dropped my saddle height by 7mm.

Knees are perfect after the cycle unfortunately my lower back is now in bits.

My question is should I

1) Adjust saddle height less than 7mm

or

2) Adjust saddle position forward

or

3) Adjust handlebar up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

7mm is a HUGE adjustment!

Start here:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Im certainly no expert on the subject. But f you think of the "reach" distance between centre of seat post and stem, by dropping the seat by 7mm, you are also reducing then"reach" by a few mm, depending on your seat tube angle.. You could try putting you seat back a few mm to regain some of the "reach". This will also change the knee to pedal angle slightly. It is possible be easier of all the options to change 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

Yes thanks for the above guys gonna bring the saddle back and adjust by 2mm at a time and see how I go.

Will report back next week hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

I went down the bike fit rabbit hole on Youtube last year. One thing I remember multiple people saying was to go out for multiple rides before adjusting again. It's to give your body a chance to adjust to the new position. No idea if there is truth to it, but it did make sense to me.

Being middle aged and fat, I've noticed that stretching for 10 mins before and after a spin has really helped with muscle pain during and after the spin. Might be worth thinking about if you're not already doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

You should also remember that a bike fit should be used as a guide and not as a fixed gospel, even using the latest and greatest technology Here is a good YouTube video on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

as per the video I linked to, make one small adjustment…then ride your bike and see how you feel. Bring a multi tool and make adjustments while cycling is also a good idea. But as per the video…don’t move your saddle to adjust the reach. Get your saddle Howth right and then if needed, experiment with a different stem length and height.

Advertisement