Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Car for under 35k

Options
  • 31-03-2024 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Looking at going electric for next car. Have a 100km total commute a day. Have three kids under 8 who will be in the car from time to time. I do cycle so one I can throw the bike into the odd time would be helpful.

I'm in over my head. I really love the look of the byd seal, but don't think that would be suitable in my situation. Also like the option of Mégane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Depends on your budget. But if you're in the market for a Seal, it's probably in the region of €50k. In which case the Polestar 2 comes into the equation and might suit your biking needs since it's a hatchback with lots of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Probably getting too high for me at that point.35k preferably, stretch to 40k for the perfect one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I have a cupra born, you'll get a brand new one just over 35k, a 241 demo model for a bit cheaper if you can find one. Honourable mention to Renault Megane around that price too. VW ID3 too but most people prefer the Born and it's more or less same car.

MG selling for less again for same size of a hatchback.

You'll get a bike in any of them with the hatchback opening. Stay away from saloons like the BYD Seal if you want to put a bike in. It's way over your budget anyway. You could look at BYD Atto too that's a hatch.

If you're talking used, there is huge choice. You could even get Audi Etron 80k new for your budget for a 2020 reg plate. That will be out of manufacturers warranty but will still have 4 years of battery warranty. Prob not a serious suggestion but just showing the choice you have in used market.

Middle ground, one I really like is the Kia ev6. You'd get maybe a 222 or 231 plate for your budget. Think it's a very interesting car. Also look at VW ID4 and Skoda enyaq for something slightly bigger than what you will get new. You'd definitely get a 23 plate for your budget.

Tesla used if you're into tech, they're a very good EV but I'll never buy one, I cannot stand the styling of them.

If you feel in over your head keep asking here, great knowledge on this site and people willing to help. There's different battery sizes etc available. And make sure you have access to your own charger, don't buy an EV without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭User1998

Tesla Model Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Honestly, just set one day aside to go around and test drive a good few. You will rule out some fairly quickly depending on what your tastes are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭eagerv

After experience of a good few EVs it's hard to look past Tesla, such a simple UI even for a technophobe like myself. And all cars fully loaded spec wise. Efficiency and convenience of Supercharging make life easy.

I carry a full size bike in my Model 3, the wide handlebars fit upright in the deep well in back of boot. Couldn't carry two though…Of course a hatchback such as the Y or others would be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Do any of the cars being mentioned here fit 3 car seats in the back? 3 kids under 8 means they are in boosters at a minimum. Is this a requirement op?

It would. 2 are in boosters. Youngest is 2. I'm hoping the fact that two are boosters should mean most options mentioned here will suit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

MG4 and a bike carrier for the boot. Great car for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

What is your current car? We have 2 kids under 8 and with their current car seats, which aren't that big, it turns most back seats into effectively 2 seaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

Whatever car you are interested in I highly suggest taking the time to check out the infotainment properly, a lot of cars now have removed buttons and replaced with menus and you might find yourself regularly going through menus to do basic things like turn on the radio , change climate settings, heated seat, steering etc, some do it better than others but some bad ones out there that are infuriating.

If you're right handed then using the touch screen with your left hand can be a pain especially on bumpier roads.

And above all if this EV would be your only car then you need to get your head around charging, planning, setting up apps and registering for this network, getting access cards for that network, some take bank card which is the way it should be.

The network is decent in the East but deteriorates rapidly the more you go West with many areas of the country serviced with a single 50 Kw charger for miles around.

Also be prepared to wait 30-50 mins for a charge depending on battery temp and charger power and the amount of charge you need to get home.

EV is certainly not as convenient as ICE where you fill up in a few mins and drive for up to 900 kms on a tank of diesel.

Buy the biggest batter you can afford, I would say 60 Kwh available capacity should be, in my opinion, the minimum you should consider, the last thing you want is to be at a charger wishing you got the EV with more range because if you did chances are you wouldn't have needed to charge and might have gone for another 60-100 Kms more.

Tbh that's ticks all the boxes. The only reason I wouldn't go for it are it's plain looks, which is a shallow reason really

Ah no, I get that. You have to live with it after all.

Having said that, the MG5 isn't fugly like a lot of EVs. Some of them look good from the back but have a horrible profile or front and vice versa or all round. But I suppose you can say that for cars in general.

You might want to research MG EV reliability, they don't score too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭grennscreener

I love it when people drop something like this in a thread without any backup.

Yeah, it's actually MG generally that score poorly on reliability. And that's historical going back to their early days. Their EVs are scoring well albeit in very early stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The poster is question is running around any thread and bad mouthing electric cars. Even a thread about HVO they posted up about electric cars?

Are you looking new or second hand?

Will it be a second car or your primary car?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭grennscreener

historical, before the brand was bought by SAIC? I'd say the last of the british MGs were shocking all right. Not entirely sure there's a whole lot to support SAIC owned MG are any less reliable than any other major manufacturer (EV or ICE).

It was a such a tantrum type 'well I know I'm right and every one is wrong' type comment.

As for the OP's question - I see 1st ed ID4's are going for under 35k nowadays (presumably at the end of PCP deals) - If you can live with the controls, they'ed be a pretty solid and comfortable buy with a load of room for the kids and the ability to roof rack the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

Know of any Y that's sold under 35k yet? given new prices I think we must be close..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭User1998

There is one on Donedeal which could be got for €35k I reckon

I don't know how Kia can justify so much for the EV6 ? Nice interior but not the greatest to drive due to absolute shyte steering feel, or lack of. The id3 in fairness feels a lot better on the road.

Tbh from what I have seen so far, I am between MG5 and a Tesla model Y. Model y would be pushing the budget.

I like the look of Citroen and Peugeouts versions too but have a feeling that boot space wouldn't be great on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

What you need is an estate car.

I think the Peugeot 308 SW is one one of the best looking cars at the moment.

It's estate shape means it has a huge boot, perfect for your family. It also not an obnoxious SUV.

It also also has physical button on the steering wheel so no faffing around with touchscreen for basic functions

There are brand new so slight over your budget but I think it's the best option

1. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/new-e308-sw-allure/36630400
    2. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/all-new-electric-peugeot-308-sw-allure/36456110

This is a used Hybrid one for sale in the North

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312014470952?sort=relevance&twcs=true&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol%20Plug-in%20Hybrid&make=Peugeot&model=308%20SW&ni-only=on&postcode=m88lz&fromsra

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Woodie40

yeah wonder why a lot of EV’s are Fugly as you say, Tesla’s are right up there with the looks of a milk float from the seventies.

All about drag coefficient I would think. The gold standard is range and they're sacrificing looks on that altar.

Advertisement