Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rushes

Options
  • 29-03-2024 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Anymore know of a good spray to get rid of rushes in a field?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Roundup or rosate 360 and weedlick it. This will kill rushes but if the rushes are plentyful they will be back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭RockOrBog

Cut first, spray the regrowth after a month with Agroxone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Bit of fertiliser put a week before spraying too I find helps an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭older by the day

Straw 70 euro, dried rushs, might come in handy next winter. Cut, dry, bale, then spray when they regreen. Agritox is what I use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Both chemicals above are all MCPA based. So any name with MCPA in the ingredient will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Suckler

Then you get in to the issue of spreading the dung with rushes mixed through it etc. are you spreading the problem.

Straw bedding comes up easier as well, rushes form a 'mat' that's harder to lift out in my experience.

You could be right on the cost if straw keeps going the way its going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Should be a bumper crop of rushes this year after a lot of them fields weren't cut at all last year. Have often baled rushes direct after the mower no problem. Bone dry down for a week or ten days in fine weather. Lets the field be drying too. Chopping with the baler is the key, they make nice bedding particularly if a good bit of grass in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭older by the day

Not as good as straw, definitely. Not the comfort or they won't eat them. I would prefer straw. But at the price that is estimated for the autumn. Its better than cold concrete.

As for spreading the seed, I spreads the rotten dung on two cut silage ground in August or September and they don't seem to grow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

is it 50 a bale they are predicting, if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tileman

a lad for telling me today he gave €64 a bale for a few bales. Fuxking robbery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Plenty of corn fields around here in the past and straw could be bought for 6 or 7 euros a bale off the field. All them corn fields now are full of dairy cows. Hardly a tillage man in the area now.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Danny healy ray

the green party chopped over a million bales farmer having to pay 60 euro a bale to bed his calves and incalf that cabbage ryan is some clown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭148multi

Think of the pressure on organic farms

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

I’m not involved in tillage but will this straw chopping scheme be a permanent fixture ? It seems crazy to waste so much feed / bedding and then farmers forced to pay way over the odds for a reduced supply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tileman

yea it is here for permanent. It is actually going to increase to 55k ha up from current 52ha. It has shown to be very beneficial on carbon benefit . So that along with reduced average on tillage is going to put a squeeze on it.
    Im a bit like David from sheep school you tuber who was sorry he didn’t put slats into his sheep shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Thays interesting, I just spread the dung back where the rushes came from, I'm hardly adding to the seed bank there.

But gillespy is right, the trick is not to be too greedy and let the grass grow before harvesting the bedding, along with the chopper, it makes for super stuff, even better than straw, especially for calves who love to be picking at it.

Advertisement