Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Coastal Cycle - Local Road / Cafe Knowledge

Options
  • 28-03-2024 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Cycling Boardsies,

Being a bit cheeky here and asking for any local knowledge of roads and decent places to stop on a charity cycle I'm doing around the Irish coastline. Some points on the cycle

• See the attached Excel file that breaks down the 50 stages and has links to the planned routes
    • Averaging just over 100km a day with a days rest every 6/7 days
    • Doing most of the coast line, but I haven't a clue about a lot of the routes, so just staying close to the coast
    • A few odd days I drift a bit inland but that's more to do with accommodation
    • The charities I'm raising funds for are the Irish Cancer Society, The Alzheimer's Society of Ireland and Children in Hospital
    • If all goes to plan Stage 50 lands on my 50th birthday

If anyone has advice on roads to avoid, detours, touristy places to check out or places to stop for lunch (as this is a relaxed tour 😀) I'd be truly grateful

Cheers,

Will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

The Mayo legs…

Ballycastle to Belmullet: Not many options in between for stops. You might pass Teach Greannaí in Corrán Buí depending on your route.

Belmullet to Geesala: Again, not much in between but if you’re heading to Eachléim, there’s a new visitor centre and cafe after opening there called Solas.

Geesala to Achill: Plenty to choose from. Shop in Bangor. Visitor centre and cafe at the national park in Ballycroy. Cafes and pubs in Mulranny and Achill. All welcome cyclists

LIkewise Mulranny to Louisburgh: plenty in Newport and Westport to choose from. Nevins Newfield Inn in Tiernaur is great.

Some great cycling and views around there

Post edited by nicksnikita on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Are you going through Newport in mayo?

Grainne Uaile is a great pub with great food (a while since I've been there?

In west cork, Bantry is underrated. Some great food spots there.q

If you're doing the whole cost and doing sheeps head loop there's a place to get food at the car park but it's tight for passing the last bit.

If weather's nice, treat yourself to sitting outside the pub/cafe in Brookhaven that does nice open crab sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wijam

Thanks @nicksnikita

• Ballycastle to Belmullet - Teach Greannaí in Corrán Buí is around the 60km mark, so will defintely add it to the list
    • Belmullet to Gweesalia - Eachléim is passed twice at 52km and 63km so added to the list

The other suggestions as they are more plentiful I'll add to the daily Stagfe Roadbook I'm writing up for myself at the minute, cheers

Thanks @Weepsie

• Newport - I am indeed through Newport, albeit only 25km so probably a coffee stop
    • Bantry - Cork was a funny one, I had the 6 days mapped out, then went looking for accommodation, the first 5 days changed completely, and at one stage Bantry was an overnight stop, but that had to change, although will stop there
    • Sheeps Head Loop - passing that, although early on as starting at Kilcrohane

And what do you mean, if the weather is nice - this is going to be the nicer summer on record 😁, not like that time I did the Ring of Clare at the end of July and had a half an hour of hailstones

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's been a while since I was last there, but you may need to walk the northern side of the Broadmeadow Estuary on Leg 1 Stage 01. The road is tidal but there's a narrow dirt track above it.

If you'd prefer not to walk and come inland a little, there's a bike path that'll take you across the M1 onto the Hearse Rd.

• Advertisement

Thanks @RobertFoster that's really good to know, wouldn't want the first hiccup on Stage 1 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Clifden to Mweenish - assuming you take the coast road from Glinsk to Carna, there's a quiet spot you could camp near Moyrus beach. Sent you co-ordinates via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Skibbereen to Clonakilty

Main road to be avoided as lot of sections with no hard shoulder.

You can pretty much hug the coastline all the way. Check out sections of Skibbereen Cycling Hub Loop One as shown on iPhone maps although don’t see it on Google Maps.

Skibb….Tragumna….Toe Head….Castletownsend….Union Hall ….. Glandore…..Rosscarbery…..Ownahincha…Long Strand…Red Strand….Clonakilty

Glandore is a nice spot for lunch as the view is at it’s best around midday.

Clonakilty to Kinsale via Ring..Dunworley… Courtmacsharry…Timoleague…Old Head

If you get the weather that whole stretch is glorious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You have a faff there in your plan from Waterford to Kilmore Quay - the route maybe intentionally includes a trek North to cross the Barrow at the Kennedy Bridge near New Ross. The more optimal route would take the ferry at Passage East.

Otherwise Hook Head has a cafe and you might be grateful of it as the peninsula is very exposed if it's windy. Tintern Abbey has a cafe/etc.

Good luck.

Cheers @hesker that's near on both days routes, will add Glandore as a lunch stop, looking forward to it

• Advertisement

Thanks @10-10-20 I've done a few weekends down that neck of the woods cycling, and have gotten the ferry at Passage East, I'll not rule it out, as that cuts a nice 30km of the day, which is always an option

Think both times we headed down to Hook Head were both windy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Only saw your Garmin link after I posted so see you have it pretty well mapped out.

For the leg to Cork at Rochestown take a little detour off directly north at the cinnamon cottage onto that shared walkway/cycleway. It will bring you right past Pairc Ui Chaoimh and you can stop in Marina Market for a bite to eat.

Actually as you exit the shared path/cycle way at Hop Island you can stay on the footpath as it is also shared (markings now worn off mostly). Then go right at the lights to join the next shared path. Cuts out that leg through Douglas and is much nicer and more direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭StormForce13

Kilcrohane to Skibb.

There's a seasonal coffeebox outside Arundels of Ahakista that sells lovely coffee and cake (hopefully it will return next summer).

The pub referred to is in Crookhaven, not Brookhaven! It's called O'Sullivans (link below) and it will be packed in August! One alternative is the restaurant at the Mizen Head Centre which serves good nosh. And Budds in Ballydehob is a great spot for some coffee and food.

. https://www.osullivanscrookhaven.ie/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah that was a typo on my account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

That's a very good route, you are picking up lots of great roads.

I'll map an alternative or two for Cork Waterford when at PC.. enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭saccades

On route #50:

Your right turn at Lidl outside Rathnew is a bumpy, velcro bit of road. I'd recommend the R772 and stop at Mt Usher gardens (about halfway on the route) for a great cafe.

Then stick on the R772 past Coynes cross (has an apple garage with dirty burgers etc), and turn right at Jimmy Healy's garage and it's a nice hill down to the good bit of R761 (your original route).

The rest up to Shankill is grand, although Windgates is a drag up a narrow road with fast cars that I don't enjoy.

Oh and cycling through greystones will be very stop/start, straight through at the charlesland roundabout would be my choice.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement