Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docking switch for Work Laptop v Home Desktop

Options
  • 28-03-2024 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭

Work giving us laptops as currently using a FOB attached to Desktop and have home Laptop open for personal stuff. So working off 2 monitors for work and laptop on its own screen. Also have Desktop hard wired and laptop working off wifi.

Still waiting for them to supply docking station. But will have 2 Monitors, Desktop PC, Home Laptop and Work Laptop.

Desk at home not big enough to have work laptop and Home Laptop open.

So what's best options to possible use current Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for work with 2 monitors and also either be able to access desktop or home laptop for personal stuff during the day.

Then outside of work hours be able to use Desktop with the two monitors and Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have a similar-ish setup and I use a StarTech 2-port KVM to switch to my personal system. You could do that with one monitor and then add a second KVM then for the second monitor…? Anything above 2-ports gets very pricey though.

https://www.startech.com/en-ie/server-management/sv211hdua4k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I have a work desktop and work laptop and personal laptop.

In the office, my work monitor is also a hub and can power the laptop over USB-C and get's video from the laptop over the same cable. I had the desktop attached via display port too initally but I've switched to remote desktop into the desktop from the laptop. So the only connections to the desktop are now power and network. The monitor has USB ports so I connect the kb/mouse to those, I could use wireless too. The only connection to the a laptop is USB-C

At home I'll power the laptop from it's exteranl PSU and use HDMI into a monitor, wireless keyboard USB headset.

I can put the a laptop on stand to use as second/third monotor too

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/vivalla-tablet-stand-bamboo-veneer-10401484/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&utm_content=free_google_shopping_clicks_Homeorganisation

I can swap out the work laptop at home for my own one if I want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks for the replies

So looks like I need a HDMI KVM Switch so can connect the 2 monitors, Home Desktop, Keyboard, Mouse and work laptop. With this I can Switch between the home desktop and Work Laptop. I also don't need to have the lid open on the work laptop and can keep this closed and work using Bluetooth keyboard and mouse??? I then have to bring the work laptop into office so if wife wants to use home desktop PC she can or if she is WFH she can connect up to the kvm and use the bluetooth keyboard and Mouse and close lid on laptop?

As I would like to keep personal laptop open during the day, rather than having it switch between work laptop and home desktop, I can have this not connected to anything.

Any suggestions for a KVM switch that would make my life easier and not having to take wires out and put them into different ports etc

Cheers

Advertisement