Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding light switches

Options
  • 28-03-2024 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have lights at home that can be turned on and off from 4 different locations using single-button light switches.

I am trying to understand what kind of light switches I should buy to replace them.

If I understand correctly, I should be looking for 4 single-gang 4-way switches (though I'm not sure if something like that even exists).

Could you please advise?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Theyll probably be a combination of 2-ways and intermediates

Its probably best get someone in unless you've experience. Ya could end up with a mess unless you know what you're doing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

you’ll require

2 x 1 gang 2way

2 x intermediate switches

as Tomhammer said be careful when doing this as it could become a nightmare

My advice is to replace 1 at a time and check all switches operate correctly before moving onto the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Shouldnt be too hard to replace like for like if careful

Maybe do a bit of research first on 2-ways and intermediates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Thank you.

Will be doing it one by one.

Much appreciated your support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

i would:

before removing any wires, mark them distinctively(| = COM, || = L1, etc) with perm marker while still in the original switch, take photo, proceed with replacement one-by-one as suggested above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Don’t forget to turn off the power to the switches before doing any work with them.

Stay Free

Advertisement