Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering Angle Sensor Re-calibration in the North West?

Options
  • 28-03-2024 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a 2011 Mazda 6 with a common enough issue where the Steering Angle Sensor needs to be recalibrated. This is a common issue with these and I've been told to try a re-calibration on the Steering Angle Sensor before I drop hundreds on a new or reconditioned steering rack as it usually can fix the issue.

I've tried 9-10 garages today and got responses like... "oh we do that service here but calibrating it won't fix it, you need a new steering rack (which cost upwards of €700)"

It's a bit annoying, because all I want to do is get it calibrated and even if that doesn't fix the issue then I know where my next move is, surely nobody loses in this? I get piece of mind and they paid for doing their job?

I know fellow Mazda 6 owners who have had same issue in the UK and have had their issue fixed with a simple re-calibrate in a matter of minutes rather than shelling out for a new steering rack.

So just wondering if anyone knows a garage that will do this in the North West (Sligo, Donegal, Mayo, Leitrim)?

Mazda themselves are charging €150-165 to just look at the car on a diagnostic machine.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I'd just keep ringing to be honest. Doing a SAS calibration takes about 5 minutes on a scan tool. ECU just tells you to turn the steering a certain amount of degrees left, and a certain amount of degrees right then back to centre, thats about it, and most garages would have a high end scan tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

The issue from the garage's perspective, is that you've come to them believing you have a cheap fix.

If recalibration doesn't fix it, most customers (not you specifically) will likely be annoyed that their self diagnosis was wrong, have issue with the cost, and tell their friends that they're rubbish.

That said, keep ringing around, and let them know up front that you're happy (for want of a better word!) to pay for a new rack if the calibaration doesn't work.

Did you try a decent tyre place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

Can you not just find the cheapest diagnostic tool that can do steering angle recalibration and do it yourself? You could even sell the diagnostic tool after so it won’t have any costed you anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stee_13

Thanks for the replies lads, never recieved an email, so forgot to check the replies.
    I may have someone who has the ForScan tool, he's just waiting on a new charger for his laptop, so hopefully can get it sorted.

I tried most well known tyre brand garages, Best Drive, First stop and Modern Tyres lol.

Advertisement