Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGS 2024 - Round 2 Portmarnock Links - 20th Apr 11:00

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

New 12th - Gone from a par 4 to a very hard par 5, new green is 6 metres above the old level.

Post edited by Golfgraffix on

New 13 - Is now index one, gone from a par 5 to a very long par 4, new tees and bunkers removed.

New 16 - same hole but a new elevated and realigned straight tee, two big big fairway bunkers replaced by mounding and one small bunker. Greenside bunkers gone from the right side, you can now run the ball onto the green.

New 17 - Gone from a tough elevated par 3 to a relatively short par 4. Handy enought drive but miss the green long, left or right and you are in big do do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PinkyShort

cheers Steve, I’ll keep an eye out for dropouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

There is actually a waiting list function - I'd say you'd have a good chance if you put yourself on that.

• Advertisement

New 14th - Gone from a short par 4 to a 600 yard par 5. A simple looking hole that plays very well, you need three perfect shots to get on in regulation. Massive tiered green.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Thanks a million for those updates and pictures @Golfgraffix

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PinkyShort

Great thanks for that, I’ve thrown myself on it. Do you know if I need to have a balance on my savings for that function to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

@Golfgraffix on the 16th new tee. I recall one old tee box (which for some reason was rarely in play whenever I was out there) which was a fab elevated tee with great views. Is that where new tee is and has it been changed much if so?

yep, same location but 20 yards back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've thrown my name down there too, wasn't sure if I could go before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Cold day currently forecast with wind from North/North-east. Will be interesting how much of an impact that might have as it'll be a change from prevailing wind direction

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oma29

Really looking forward to Saturday, especially if the weather stays as forecasted. I'll be staying for food after if available.

Yes, for reference guys, you won't be able to book in, or get added to the timesheet if you don't have enough cash in your account to cover the greenfee

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This Zephyrless weather is a disaster for my goty standings.

I demand more shots...

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Alanm

With only a couple of days to go the weather looks fantastic - at least in comparison to almost every other round I've played so far this year. Light wind and no rain sounds pretty good to me! To confirm my last post, we will be playing off the white tees - it will be a good challenge.

A couple of pace of play notes: We have 40 people out and there are groups behind us so please try and keep up with the group in front, let's do our best to keep things moving. For those of you that are newer to golf and the society, please listen to those older (and sometimes) wiser players. Take note of your tee time and be ready to go at least 5 minutes before you're due off.

If you hit a ball and you aren't sure it's safe, hit a provisional. There is a 3 minute time limit for searching for a ball, if you can't find it within this time, move on. If you've hit too many shots, please pickup your ball and move on. Remember that Golf Ireland encourages ready golf, when it's safe to do so, get to your ball and get ready. It is not always necessary for the furthest away to hit first, be sensible. When possible, leave your golf bag on the side of the green leading to the next hole. Mark the cards on the next tee box, not on the current green. Walk and talk - plenty of time to chat between shots, no need to stop for a 5 minute conversation!

Above all, have fun, enjoy the day and good luck all!

Alan.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Trying to figure exactly where I'm going:

Do you drive in and follow the yellow line round to those parking spaces for golf? Is the building in the bottom right the golf club house?

Where you've indicated to park is the best place. You'll see the pro shop on the left as you go through the trees just before that car park.

red x is the pro shop

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

I presume any gps watches won’t have the update for this yet with the new layout? At least I can’t find on my 1…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭paulos53

Same issue with my GPS. However I did try a few free phone apps and the Motocaddy app looks to have the changes except for number 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

played at the end of December and my Garmin had all the updates. Well except 17 as it was still the old hole.

Thanks for reminder, better connect my GPS up tomorrow and run an update.

I just alternated between laser and GPS depending on new/old holes last time I think

most gps will have everything other than 17, but they will also be in ClubNet including 17

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

Thanks , I have a laser aswell as backup just find the watch a lot handier .

As part of the renovations the course has gone under, there are a couple of things to note for tomorrow:

Hole 12: Back of the green has been returfed - there is a drop zone for this
    Hole 12: Penalty area on Right hand side is a no play zone - red stakes which have a green top. You are permitted to search for your ball here but you MUST take a penalty drop as if a normal red hazard.
    Hole 14 and 17: Two areas are marked GUR.

Players are permitted to take relief from newly sodded areas that are in play but still have seems at joining points - nearest point of relief no penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Really looking forward to getting back out here - last time out here was my first time out with the society. Really enjoyed the course first time and excited to see how the changed holes play, GolfGraffix was very positive on them when speaking about the changes at Corballis.

Approach to the new par 5 12th is seriously tough. Anyone holding the green in 3 will have hit 3 great shots

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Thank god for the drop zone because if anyone goes over the green on 12. Just walk to the 13th tee box!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

If anybody follows Peter Finch on Instagram, he is currently playing on both Portmarnock courses and he is uploading play from the Jameson links, the course is looking super.

Advertisement