Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requirement re electric car charging New build dwelling

Options
  • 27-03-2024 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭

Ive just got a request from building control to provide detail of provision being made for Electric vehicle recharging infrastructure for a new build house just going to site.

TGD Part L requires provision to be in place to allow future wiring of for EV. Building Control are looking for details such as ducting etc. Its so early in the build that an electrician is not on board at all.

What would be the typical ducting requirement from consumer unit to position of EV charger (assuming its on the wall of the house or wall of detached shed)

Consumer unit will be in utility adjacent to plant room. Im proposing 50mm Electric duct from plant room to required location externally, capped for future use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

Just get the electrician to wire it. Don’t bother with ductwork. It’ll be simpler,quicker and easier

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Consider earth visibility at consumer unit, Consider cat6 inside ducting, Consider WiFi connection to the charger for smart functionality pertaining to grant style EV charge points.

Also max cable run lengths.

How far is CU from the proposed charger potential location. Is the charger post mounted or mounted to EWI.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can anyone advise on what the ducting requirement would be size and material wise

From plant room to exterior wall about 5m away.

I'm going to try keep this as simple as possible.

Charger mounted to house wall for example where wall is traditional sand cement finish double block wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

50mm presumably

Ya can buy the EV+Network on the one cable

Be simpler just to drop he wire in as said already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I think the OP means he wants to keep it as cheap as possible to meet the requirements. That would be the 50mm ducting from what has been said. Yeah, it would be simpler and better to have the wiring already in-situ, but it will cost a little more than ducting alone. IMO, the added value makes it very worthwhile.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Ya it's just building control seeking info at commencement stage. Don't want to state that we are providing working unit as they may well seek to see that then.

Anyway, I've provided the info to them. Just a simple drawing showing suggested location and a 50mm duct and labelled it for future use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

As you'll have a spark in doing other work run electric and any data cables required in duct to charging point and apply for the EV charger grant. There's no requirement to have an EV or a vehicle of any description or indeed be able to drive to qualify for the grant.

This was just for commencement and a query from building control.

Its done now.

I provided a drawing showing just basic duct run to future position of charge point.

I agree that it makes more sense to run cable and install charger but at this early stage, that would probably have required more info.

Advertisement