Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Travel Card

Options
  • 27-03-2024 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how long it takes them to issue one of these? I have a Public Services Card and was led to believe the Free Travel Card issued automatically on reaching 66. Not so. I rang a help line and might has well have talked to the cat. The guy who answered had no idea. It appears I have to fill out a form and send it in. It can't be done on line. To avoid delays I completed the form and went to the local Social Welfare Office to hand it in 2 weeks ago. They couldn't tell me how long it takes. I can't track the application on line and haven't recceived any updates. I don't even know which office to call.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Strange.

I applied for the pension and I got a visit from a SW person. She told me that I will need to phone the local SW office to make an appointment for the card process. My photo would be taken there and they would sort everything out. This photo thing might be your problem. I was told that only a trained person can do that. There might be a waiting list. Two weeks in SW welfare time is nothing!

Let us know how you get on. Good luck anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

PSC includes free travel card.You must make an appointment with the local Intreo office to get a photo taken.Free travel included when you get your PSC.Maybe your card has to be re-issued

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I got a letter saying that I would get my new card (it's PSC plus the free travel logo) in due course. I didn't have to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

That's good. You must have got your first PSC fairly recently and the photo didn't need an update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Lucky you. My PSC card is 2 years old so no need for an updated photo. I've already been told that I had to make an application by form for Free Travel. This can't be done on line. You can get a new PSC card online, or a renewal, just not a Free Travel Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

To avoid delays I completed the form and went to the local Social Welfare Office to hand it in 2 weeks ago.

To avoid delays? The Free Travel scheme is administered by an office in Sligo. Wasn't there an address on the form that you should have posted it to? Handing the form into the local DSP office is that last thing I would have done. It's probably still sitting on someone's desk.

Actually full disclosure: I filled out the form for the contributory pension at the beginning of March, sending it to Sligo as coylemj mentioned and despite the fact that they were saying you should apply three months before you qualify, I got approval within a week. So they seem pretty efficient to me.

Still waiting.

Finally arrived

• Advertisement
Advertisement