Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Management Company

Options
  • 27-03-2024 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hello,

A simple question: How to get rid of Estate Management Company if they are not maintaining the estate?

At 185eur a year for 100 houses, they cut grass (ONLY and they haven't yet this year). If anything else is asked of them they just say that there is no budget for it. The grass cutting cost 1500eur last year. Estate Agent cost 8000eur... This is a bit ridiculous...

The cost of having the company is twice as high as the cost of maintaining the estate. I don't mind paying if they are doing something but for nothing or occasional grass cutting of a very small green area...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What do your title deeds say? what do the papers of the managemtnt company say? What do the directors of the management company say?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is your problem with the management company, where all the property owners are shareholders, or with the managing agent, who have a contract for maintenance with the management company?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Not easy but all of the owners/members getting together for a meeting is a start

OP is a bit vague on detail, estates generally need more than grass cutting. Maintenance company is generally responsible for lots of other stuff, lighting, drains, often waste disposal, insurance. Do you discuss all this in your OMC AGMs?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

There is a board of directors (I think) - these are a few people who own houses on the estate. Another company owns the estate company...? They are organising meetings, grass cutting and so on. They also collect the fees (and threaten with legal action).

I am not quite sure how it's set up. It seems like a company owns the estate company. (or something like that) I am not a shareholder of the estate company.

These were not listed in the expense report.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you an owner if a tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you gone to the meetings to express your concerns to the volunteer directors of the management company?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Why not speak to one of the owners who is on the board of the management company? They should be able to fill you in.

What else was on the expense report?

I can imagine things like the following have to be paid for:

Insurance

Electricity for common areas, stairwells. landings

cleaning

managing agents fees

security?

fire alarm maintenance/ fire inspections

plumbing

sinking fund for capitel expenditure

etc, etc.

Sure, some of these won't be applicable, but a lot of them will. your solicitor must have advised you on this when you were buying the place. They would have sent a number of queries into the management agent to ensure the management company was in place and properly run.

Advertisement