Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Someone crashed into me today - question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Thanks everyone for the replies, I texted him and he admitted fault and said he would prefer not to go through insurers and asked me to get a quote.

If the quote proves too much his reply is essentially an admission of guilt anyway if he tried to revert to going through the insurance and says I hit him.

My faith in people is restored, seems a good guy who just got caught up in the heat of the moment. I can understand slightly, not something I would ever say to someone but it is what it is (still makes me hesitant)

I still think this is a lesson to everyone to get a dash cam, I will be doing so asap

Edit 12345

Edit 12345

Mate I know all about insurance claims, I got mowed off a motorbike a few years ago and was broken to bits and had to get multiple surgeries. I know the craic , thanks for pointing out though

I already told the Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would have called the Guards if it was me in thi# scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's highly likely he'll have issues with whatever quote you get based on his attitude so far. I've seen the same story repeated here lots of times - the price will be too high / he'll want you to use his own garage / he'll delay and stall etc...

Did you notify your insurer of what's happening? If not, do that first thing Tuesday morning. The admission means nothing from what I've read. It can be argued he was in shock.

While it's to your credit that you're being decent about all this, ultimately you owe him nothing (quite the opposite) and you need to ensure that you don't get left holding the bag on this one if/when he changes his mind again.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭carfinder

Wow, you really went and doubled down on your unhelpful "advice" even after being called out on it - maybe you should resist the urge to provide advice on issues you are not knowledgeable on. All motor insurers that I'm aware of require details of garda report of collisions when making a claim or advising of an incident

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How many motor insurers are you aware of though?

If you ask the Gardai, they don't tell you to report every incident to them.

https://www.garda.ie/en/crime/traffic-matters/ive-been-involved-in-a-road-traffic-collision-what-should-i-do-.html

If you ask 123.ie, they don't tell you to report every incident to them.

https://www.123.ie/claims/claims-process

"Whether the Gardai were involved and details of same"

If you ask AIG, they don't tell you to report every incident to them.

https://www.aig.ie/insurance/car-insurance/help-advice/what-to-do-if-youre-in-a-car-accident

" The guards will need to get involved if there appears to be drink or drugs involved or you suspect the other driver may have deliberately caused the accident. They will also need to be contacted if the other party refuses to share their vehicle and licence details, they try to leave the scene of the accident or if there are any injuries on either side. You are legally required to notify the Gardaí of any injuries within 24 hours of the accident. "

Which insurers that you know of require Garda report when dealing with collisions or claims for minor damage like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

insightful thread - thanks for sharing OP - best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭carfinder

You obviously haven't been through the process. All the insurance companies require garda reporting when processing a claim. You're providing bad advice to the OP, contradicting the good advice of other posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

Are you sure about that? A family member of mine crashed last week and there was no mention of Garda. She just explained to the insurance company what happened and they told her to go get her car assessed at one of their approved bodyshops.

It's many years since I've been through the process, which is why I checked the documentation from a few insurance companies. Is this some kind of unwritten requirement or have any insurance companies actually documented the requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Notifying your insurance is more important than the dashcam ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That is certainly untrue. Twice in the past 10 years I've had considerable damage to my cars due to the fault of others. €5000+. In neither case did my insurers even ask if the Gardaí were advised - which they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The only times insurers require you to report matters to the Gardai are for theft or malicious damage claims. Gardai, who have not attended the scene, are of no assistance to an insurer in determining liability

This would be a good time for you to apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭csirl

Contact the claims department of his insurance company and let them look after everyrhing.

I had a someone hit me a few months ago - damaged bumper. As with the OP, I took a pic of the insurance disk. Contacted their insurer the following morning. Was asked to bring it to one of their nominated garages immediately and they arranged repairs . Had zero contact with the other driver other than exchanging details on the day iof the incident.

Dont see how back and forth with the other driver over cost, whether claimed from insurance, what garage, quotes etc is of any benefit to the OP. Its quicker and easier to let the insurance company deal with it.

If the other driver wants to pay for repairs etc (i.e. reimburse their company the cost) - leave that between them and their insurance company, dont get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭csirl

On the rolling back at lights thing - is this a new trend? Whats causing it?

Had a couple of near misses in recent months where cars have rolled backwards on front of me. Luckily I was vigilant and hit the horn hard before they hit me - also alerts adjacent drivers who arw potential witnesses. As a result I leave a larger than normal gap if stopped on a hill.

Advertisement