Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight loss plan

Options
  • 25-03-2024 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hey so looking to lose weight wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction online or better yet someone on here for a diet plan.any help be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emilyhlib

Download some apps and fill in your details, then there will be a meal plan for you. I found this article and decided to try something new for myself. I've been training and eating healthy for two months now (also using the meal plan from there). It is helping me quite well and I hope to be able to reach my result by May!

Post edited by emilyhlib on

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ted222

I have a friend who got great results through bobyslims. Not wildly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ellyU

hi. I want to loose weight as well. now considering the keto diet. Maybe someone with experience can give me some tips. I'd like to find out if there is a selection of recommended groceries on iHerb for the permitted sugar intake. thanks in advance)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Have lost a good bit of weight using the 16/8 intermittent fasting, have upped it to 18/6 now, plus started In the gym/swimming and have seen great results, mind you I kicked alot of s#ite out of my diet also, feel a lot better in myself at 50 than when I was in my 20s now

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Kurooi

I did keto for a couple of months, what worked for me was a recipe book (easy keto meal prep) which also acts as a meal plan.

my tips :

It is a very heavy diet, you may want to chat to a doctor if you're not in good health.

Be mindful some dishes, recipes online are over the top. Don't go nuts too quick chugging butter… In that book, I recall there is a broccoli soup in week 1 or 2 that was just too heavy, it was a lovely soup but I adjusted it down on the cheese. Also go easier on salt, particularly that soup. Just do half the salt they say and adjust to taste later.

Consume lots of snacks you're allowed - nuts in particular, in between meals as you feel hungry. You shouldn't feel hungry on keto, pretty much ever. It might mean that at the beginning say 2 weeks you eat extra but you will settle into it.

With carbs out of your diet, all that remains is protein and fat - you want to start the morning with a meal and eat regularly in general, because you don't have that quick-energy release sugar and carbs give you.

Do NOT consume energy bars, full of sweeteners, how they metabolize is still up for the jury but for me anyway they threw me right off the path and made me crave sugar again. I drink diet soda and that was OK but whatever is in those bars that is not disclosed as sugar threw me off.

Keto flu is a real thing. It's awful. You have to survive through it. For me it kicked in about day 3 of hard keto no carbs , and lasted a few days.

All fats are not made equal. Don't go on keto to stuff yourself with cheese and lard, some call it a "dirty keto" but it's just no way to go. Clean fish, chicken, vegetables. You're just cutting out carbs.

Alcohol is not necessarily a no-no, I found plain spirits like whiskey or rum , maybe mixed with diet soda, didn't throw me off the diet. But as with any advice or diet - those are empty calories so you're not doing yourself a favor.

Keto bread is a pretty good snack, almond flour mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

I’ve often thought about doing intermittent fasting myself.. I find I don’t be hungry in the morning for a good while so would be thinking maybe from 12-8. Can you give me any tips or how you managed it if you also were doing it during work as opposed to being at home? Alot of people swear by it, cheers!

Thanks for sharing your keto diet tips! I don’t eat energy bars, I substitute them with nuts

I also noticed Quest Protein Chips from iherb. But I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My fitness pal only thing that worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

I've yet to see any "diet" that actually works.

Change eating habits. Cut down on high carb foods. Cut out highly processed foods. Keep snacking to a minimum especially biscuits, crisps, chocolate & sweets.

You can have a very filling lunch that has less than 150 calories. - 3 Cracottes, tomato relish, onion, cucumber, chicken breast. Top with sriracha sauce.

Then instead of protein bars (highly processed crap) resistance training will give you great energy (ideally class based) and decent paced walking for cardio.

It worked for a friend of mine. I copied it, worked for me (112kg and unfit to under 100kg and fit (6'2" Mid 50's) in 6 months and it has stayed under 100kg. Initially it went up to 115kg and then after week 6 started falling until plateaued 104/105 for a while and then gradually moved to under 100kg and I'm very happy at that.

Simple change in the foods I ate rather than a diet and cutting down on treats and cutting out crisps.

• Advertisement

Thank you, now I understand the direction. I'll change my habits. I understand that snacking should be kept to a minimum.

Hello again. I am not relenting and so far I am diligently researching the topic of nutrition and how to do better. Carnivore has also become interesting to me. All diets are interesting and possibly useful in their own way. One thing I realised is that each organism is individual. On my journey to a healthier me, I'm making some initial changes. No more mindless snacking for me! To help fuel my body with good stuff, I'm also looking at iHerb for high-quality supplements and healthy ingredients. They have a great selection at amazing prices, especially with discount codes and free shipping here ! So far I will make the first steps: refusal of snacks, goodies. Gradually I will change my diet.

Thank you all for your advice. I will work. I would still make myself go to the gym) walking I do twice a week, but the gym - for me it's a challenge).

Post edited by ellyU on

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I hate gyms too - almost everything about them including the awful feeling of being "alone together" that they give me. Like you are there with many people around you but totally alone. Going with a training partner alleviates that of course I am sure but still it never worked for me. I'd prefer to be "alone alone" than that. Somehow being actually alone - like out for a half marathon run - feels better than being "alone together".

I get my physical work done many other ways without going to the gym. Competitive or challenging sport or martial arts. Running. But at home I also have one of those pull up bars you can put in door frames - a grip plate for doing push ups - and a couple of kettle bells. And I've come up with daily routines using You Tube that work for me just using my body and those three things.

If the option of gardening to grow your own food is available to you then consider that too. Not only is the food better but the physical work itself is exercise.

I tend to go full on carnivore too when I am working off any weight or other issues. But I tend to go back to more varied eating most of the year. Generally my diet is protein heavy and protein first though - with meat being the first go to source. Or the multitude of dietary paths I have tried over the years before I found the one(s) that work for me - vegan was probably the one that brought my closest to death. Wouldn't be going back that direction at all ever myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I've been doing carnivore for 2.5 months now. Not for weight loss, but for overall health benefits. Weight has come down considerably from 110kh to 96kg a few days ago. With regard to supplements, I only take vitamin C and electrolytes as a precautionary measure. I never got the Keto flu mentioned by other keto style diet either…thankfully. I haven't had any negatives at all, other than minor inconvenience where I don't eat at the work canteen for lunch. I have a thread in here with more detail on it. Feel free to ask me any questions you have and I can answer based on my own experience.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey, it's my first ever post on a nutrition & diet board, and I may be saying lots of things that are wrong. But over the 67 days I have lost just over 10kg, and it is the first time I have ever successfully lost weight.

My key tip is to think of weight purely in terms of calories. Every 7500 calories you can "burn" without replacing will lose 1kg of body weight. So if you're trying to lose 10kg (22 pounds), you need to burn 75,000 calories extra calories.

Nothing else matters, it doesn't matter what you eat or when you eat. Exercise is great, but you don't need it if your diet is good enough.

I turned that into a plan I could do. In previous attempts travel, seasonal holidays, and illness always interrupted and ruined my dieting efforts. I happened to have a 3-4 month window this late winter/spring with no major travel planned. So I decided I would focus on losing 10kg in 100 days. So, if I wanted to burn 75,000 calories in 100 days, I was going to need to burn on average 750 excess calories per day.

I use myfitnesspal to measure how many calories I eat during a day, and I use samsung health to measure how many calories I burn during a day. My BMR is around 1850 (that is how many calories I'd burn even if I just stayed in bed), most days I do close to 10k steps, and I sometimes go to the gym. So on average, I think I can burn 2,400 calories per day. So I aim to eat 1650 on average across the week. (Usually, I eat 1500 6 days a week, and let myself eat out / have a few drinks on a Saturday).

It hasn't been fun. I haven't had pizza or a chicken fillet roll in 3 months. Other treats like chocolate and cheese are also gone. A pint is around 240 calories (70 for a Guinness 0.0 though), so I sometimes feel like no craic when I am out with friends - and actually, one of the hardest things is if there are two parties one weekend I sometimes have to choose which one I am going to drink at, and which one I won't. I feel bad for not being as much fun for one friend.

But the upside of this approach is that you can do whatever pace you want. If you want to lose 25kg over a year - that's fine - it's 500 calories per day! If one day you don't lose 500 calories you have a choice you can say "well I guess this is just going to take one day longer" or you can say "Well for the next 10 days it's 550, then I'll be back on track". I had a big big day on Saturday. I had a high-fat breakfast, I ate out for lunch and dinner, I had my first dessert in a while, and I drank about 10 pints. In all, I consumed around 5,000 calories - which is 3400 above my target - or to put it another way, it wiped out about 5 days' worth of dieting. I can't do that every week, but it's also not a disaster. It's much easier to emotionally process "setbacks" like these if it's super easy to quantify the impact.

Anyway, if you decide my advice is useful, I'll answer any questions you have. If it doesn't sound like it's for you, then no worries at all.

Advertisement