Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EB License Trailer and Campervan Query

Options
  • 24-03-2024 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm thinking of buying a campervan but any that I like are over 3,500kg.

I have an EB license so the question is, Would there be an issue of driving a camper say a 4,000kg with a very very small trailer and still be legal on a EB license until I get a C1?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

A B licence is limited to 3,500kg Gross Vehicle Weight as listed on the VIN Plate and Log Book. The actual weight is not what's relevant. If the vehicle is over the 3.500kg you can get done for overloading.

With a B licence, you can drive a vehicle of up to 3,500kg with a trailer of up to 750 kg attached, which gives a total train weight of 4,250kg.

If the trailer is over 750kg the total train weight on a B licence must not exceed 3,500kg.

If the trailer is over 750kg an EB licence will allow a total train weight of up to 7,000kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

I think I see what you're trying to do OP. Your B licence only covers you to 3500kg but you're suggesting that the 750kg trailer allowance will give you a bit of extra scope for your train weight - 4250kg and if the trailer is tiny (say 250kg)... now you've got 4000kg to play with for your drawing vehicle.

Unfortunately this doesn't work. Category B, as you know, only covers you to drive up to 3,500kg.

Category BE specifically refers to drawing vehicles in category B when giving you the extra weight allowance, so if you're vehicle is not in that category to begin with, you're not covered. You can't 'borrow' from the trailer to add to the drawing vehicle to get it over the 3500kg.

Furthermore you can't "play" with the trailer weights like that. A trailer plated at 750kg is taken as 750kg regardless of how much it actually weights or what's in it.

Sometimes people get caught out with this. A trailer which requires a BE licence when fully loaded requires a BE licence when it it empty, even if its actual weight is under the 750kg cut-off, because it is the plated maximum weight that counts.

If the trailer is over 750kg an EB licence will allow a total train weight of up to 7,000kg.

Category BE allows you to draw a trailer which results in an overall train weight of up to 7,500kg, not 7,000kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

This is from the NDLS website https://www.ndls.ie/about/cars-and-trailers.html#can-i-tow-a-trailer-on-a-car-licence

Category B Licence

You can tow a trailer where:

• The MAM of the trailer is no greater than 750 kg and/or
    • The MAM of the trailer exceeds 750 kg but the MAM of the vehicle and trailer combined does not exceed 3,500 kg.

MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass)

The above means that on a B licence, which permits vehicles of up to 3,500kg MAM (GVW) a trailer of up to 750kg GVW (EU Trailer Category O1) can legally be towed behind a vehicle not exceeding 3,500GVW, giving a maximum train weight of 4,250KG.

However, as mentioned above the rule is different if the trailer is more than 750kg MAM

Regarding the point 'Category BE allows you to draw a trailer which results in an overall train weight of up to 7,500kg, not 7,000kg.' See the following from the NDLS site for the EB license

If the trailer's DGVW is more than 750kg and less than 3,500kg but the DGVW of the vehicle + the DGVW of the trailer does not exceed 7,000kg.

The above takes account of the fact that (except for purpose-made towing vehicles) it is illegal to tow a trailer where the MAM of a trailer is greater than the MAM of the towing vehicle, which at its maximal would be a 3500kg MAM trailer behind a 3.500kg MAM towing vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

Regarding the point 'Category BE allows you to draw a trailer which results in an overall train weight of up to 7,500kg, not 7,000kg.' See the following from the NDLS site for the EB license

If the trailer's DGVW is more than 750kg and less than 3,500kg but the DGVW of the vehicle + the DGVW of the trailer does not exceed 7,000kg.

That's interesting, do you have a link for that? The link you posted above says:

Category BE You can tow a trailer in all cases where MAM1 of the vehicle and trailer combination is greater than 3,500 kg but less than 7,500 kg

I would be curious to know which it is.

7500kg does seem rather high and 7000kg makes more sense alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭stezie

I have a camper van ( covered L4H3 3.0 Boxer) and it was originally a 4005kg rated van from factory. I had it down rated ( company in UK did this for me) with a new VIN sticker to 3500kg for driving with a B license. This may be an option for you. It means legally, you have a lower payload capacity. ie, smaller water tanks, etc.

On the trailer question, although I have a BE license, the insurance company which has the camper covered does not cover trailers. Not even third party. they may allow a small <500kg, but not bigger. When I asked I wanted to tow a boat as an example, they said they will look at it on a case by case basis and may charge extra. Case by case being, they want specific details of the trailer in question and the load being carried. They wont allow open cover for the likes of a random boat trailer.

Im looking at insuring the camper as just a van, with trailer cover… ( not sure how feasible it is right now) but just waiting on camper policy to run out before switching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Not sure you will be able to insure it as van if its a camper on the logbook and taxed accordingly. Even insuring a regular van privately can be a challenge as its technically a commercial vehicle and is registered as such. If you can prove the need for a commercial that might work but I also see anecdotes of commercials being checked at weekends but who really knows. Some people change from commercial to provate and they end up as a two or three seat car which is then taxed on the old cc system I believe but that bumps you up the tax costs.

The insurance and tax system offers little to know flexibility. You might be better off getting an old jeep of some sort on classic tax or a bangernomics car with a decent towing ability dependent on the boat size but I think I'd leave the camper as is and shop around for alternative insurance if you can.

Advertisement