Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky converting SD channels to DVB-S2 - will no longer be viewable on certain older receivers

Options
  • 24-03-2024 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Sky customer with SD box will loose access to Sky cinema sd channels in May and in August will loose access to all of sky channels.

Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Will there will still be SD channels? Is it just a case of SD channels not available on non HD channels as they're moving to DVD-S2 so will not work on old non HD boxes?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Announced back in November:

Less about killing off SD, more about killing off any older non-HD Sky boxes that are still out there in the wild (and are probably very long in the tooth at this stage).

Only affects Sky’s own channels.

Incidentally the most likely place you’re likely to see an old Sky box these days is a pub. It’s rarely Sky Q even now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not too long since I saw a pub still using a Grundig SD box

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Sad that some people are trying to sell sd boxes on online sites, one has 3 sd boxes for 100e, buyer beware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

I’m gutted, I can watch and use remote in different rooms with my sd box. I have a hd box that they sent me years ago so will have to use that. Can’t change channels with magic eye though unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

Look around for a sky hd box with rf out and bingo uou can still use magic eye and better still you will beam hd versions round the house, better quality. here's what i mean from adverts ie, or look in recyling centres.

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/sky-hd-box-used-500gb-pvr5-rf-remote-control/20991093

I’ve actually got a brand new one of these from sky that I never used. I couldn’t get the magic eye to work, I must try it again

has it got the 2 rf out and you have to turn on the power, need access to secret menu or hidden menu, its something like 001 and you must use RF1 output. All from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Sky have altered the functionality on older HD boxes over the last while, others may be able to comment on that, are there HD boxes that should be avoided. Also, for free to air users swapping an sd box with a HD box may throw up some issues, the HD box without a subscription, fta, does not default to the the same channel line up, so an ex UK sub card may be needed or the channels will be in a different order, though it is possible to put them in a favourites list. Would the likes of ITV or C5 be available on an Irish box without a sub card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RockOrBog

I heard sky are killing off some of the Sky + HD boxes as well, some of the subscription channels don't seem to be working on them now??

That is the most idiotic post I have had the misfortune to read and why you posted it defeats me entirely. You probably don't even have sky so just creating mischief.

If you want to post then stick to the facts if you know the subscription channel that is not working then say so. Don't just use a bland throwaway line.

I have a PACE SKY HD box that works perfectly and has not had a software update since 2017. Its about 20 years old.

So either edit your post or delete it.

And just to be clear the Phrase " I heard ,,, is usually followed by a load of baloney, and you are perpetuating that .

Sky have not altered the functionality of older SKY HD boxes.

Post edited by swoofer on

While I don’t endorse backseat moderation in any way, we had a similar thread in the middle of last year and there is no evidence behind any such assertion. Nor would I like this thread (which is about a change Sky are genuinely making which will have the effect of rendering obsolete, at least for Sky channels some very old Sky equipment) derailed by discussion of this.

This change affects original generation Sky Digiboxes and the first Sky+ boxes. It doesn’t affect Sky+HD one bit. These boxes were “current” between 1998 and 2007 and well done to anyone still running a 25 year old piece of consumer electronics in this day and age, but it’s time to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

So does that mean they'll convert their free sat channels to HD? Should do right? Like Sky 1, Sky Arts, Sky Sports Mix etc. AFAIK they're only on SD on freesat.

Also wonder about how they gonna package this in for their subscribers? Currently they're still charging extra for HD. They bundle it with 'box sets' so it doesnt seem so ridiculous. When HD will be out of the picture as an extra charge they'll need to repackage their video-on-demand offer. Probably an overall price rise with VOD as an extra for an overall price rise, rise.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

Sorry I lost my cool😂 You can delete if you wish and yes 20 years and still perfect with 2 RF out and scart and beamed all round the house. With SKY Q if you cancel you have nothing!! And if it aint broke etc

So I finally caved. Was offered sky q and Ultimate which includes Netflix and discovery plus and an extra multi room box all for 32 for 12 months. My Indian Netflix was gone so it kind of suited. Does anyone know if I can request the engineer to put in a hybrid lnb so I can still use the old box for fta? Is there a cost involved?

Thats a good deal. I'm getting less than that from them and I pay more. I haven't threatened to leave in a while.

But this whole repeated dance of 'oh, I'm going to leave' → 'oh, are you? can we sway you with this deal?', I'm getting tired of it. Just offer me a decent tariff and stop bothering me. People might actually want to stay.

Just to be clear what is happening. The SD channels aren’t actually closing. They are being converted from DVB-S to DVB-S2. That will have the effect of rendering them unviewable on the first (Sky Digibox - the ones with no HDD) and second (Sky+) generation receivers.

Thats why this change doesn’t effect Sky HD, Sky+HD, or Sky Q one bit.

I’ve edited the thread title to clarify this.

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If they are turning off SD channels, are they still charging a fee for HD?

They are not turning off SD channels, that is what I was trying to dispel.

They are only changing the method by which they are broadcast.

• Advertisement

So no change in service or packages, just phasing out old boxes really.

That is TG4’s call, not Sky’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Is TG4 in HD without the HD sub like rte? if so it will not make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yes, but it'll make a difference to anyone with a non-HD box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I'm not so sure, I think Sky want to go fully HD and no SD channels at all, admittedly it will take a year or two, but they are heading that way, Sky Stream and Glass are already HD only I think. If 90% of subscribers or more have either Sky+HD or SkyQ, why waste money simulcasting SD as well and anyway why would anyone want to watch SD over HD ? When SD replaced analogue it was huge, but SD to HD is black & white to colour in my opinion. I will add that HD to 4K is nowhere near as big a jump, any 4K I've seen is not that much better than HD at 1080p.

It depends what size telly too. On a 40somethin inch theres hardly a difference between 1080 and 2160 visually. Different on a 60" or 70" I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

I think "proper 4K" is significantly better than HD. The issue is compression used. Also a lot of the content sky show on 4K (especially sports apart from soccer, F1 and Cricket) is not actually 4K. It's upscaled HD. Once you go 65 inch or above 4K is very noticeable. I have a 77 OLED and even Sky HD looks crap on it. It is compressed so heavily I don't know how they have the cheek to call it HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Great deal. I pay more than that for less 😞.

"Thats a good deal. I'm getting less than that from them and I pay more. I haven't threatened to leave in a while.:)"

The same here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

There is compression but it's really the telly size. 1920x1080 isnt that much when your telly has 16x as many pixels.

When you get close enough even Scarlett Johansson looks like this

Advertisement