Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad experience with builder??? Advice needed.

Options
  • 24-03-2024 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

We are currently renovating our house. We went with a builder who we thought we could trust and fell for the sales pitch, he also done work for two people we know so they were our references.

Unfortunately it has proved to be disaster, a 3/4 month job is heading for month 11. We put up with the extreme delays and not showing up as we hoped the end result would be worth the wait. Unfortunately now we are seeing more and more issues including a leak in a new roof. My issue is that we have only realised in the past month or so that the builder and engineer are very close. They work together a lot and the builder is even currently working on his house which we feel is a conflict of interest as he takes the builders side on every single issue we have raised.

I have brought people with many years experience up to look at the house and they said some of the work is terrible especially the roof that the engineer signed off on! We have also dug deeper into the builder and found multiple unhappy people that he has screwed over. One person is still waiting for him to come back to fix a leak.

We should have got rid of him months ago but we felt we were too far into the build and we know other people would not like to come in and finish his work. I may a huge mistake of paying him more money in January when he was flat out but then the work slowed again so we will be writing off money if we got rid of him.

I am seeking legal advice this week and we will probably bring in an impartial person to completely asses the work.

Sorry for the rant but I am hoping somebody else here might have some advice??? Do we have a leg to stand on, I was told the engineers insurance will have to rectify any change to the roof that he signed off on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

Is there a written contract in place including detailed specification. If not then it will be your word against the builder/engineer. Definitely seek legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TopOfTheTown86

Thanks for your reply, I will be getting legal advice this week and we will see where I stand. The builder and engineers close relationship has made this very difficult. I have very little building experience and I am constantly battling with them. Hopefully the solicitors will put me on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

It's not uncommon for a builder and Engineer to work together on multiple projects. Its not really your issue here.

The builder and Engineer being negligent in their duties is the problem here. I'll be interested to see how this plays out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

What type of roof is it that's leaking.

What I have been told is another completely impartial engineer will have to come to assess the work done and make a call on it. Probably one assigned by solicitors to carry it out. I'll know a lot more this week.

• Advertisement

It's a flat roof with Lava 20 on it. The issue is where the new roof meets the old house. They haven't hacked away old plaster and done the flashing properly with lead to seal it. They have some plastic panel and some tech 7 on it. They are happy with the roof but I'm disgusted by it. I had some people with building experience up over the weekend to look at it and they said it's shockingly bad. Fairly sure there is a small second leak also and we have mould in the new build.

Also not enough Lava 20 has been on the side. The sides have exposed wood covered by a flailing piece of plastic. It's like a trim on the door or a car, definitely not good enough.

I'm praying any impartial engineer will come in and agree it is not good enough otherwise we will be going back to the bank for more money to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Whatever engineer comes out should be chosen by you to work for you. Don't make the same mistake twice.

Exactly! I think the solicitors will also be involved in choosing him to make sure he will look out for me and make the right calls. I need the new engineer to have zero relationship with the builder or existing engineer. He needs to be able to call it as he sees it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you have a contract with the builder, and also the engineer. What certification has been provided. What do your contract documents show, etc.

I'm be very wary of the legal advice from a solicitor, unless that are very familiar with building contract administration. I'd expect many solicitors to jump straight to seeking damages (as that is there area of expertise), insurance claims etc and that would not be the typical solution (obvious I can't see the extent and condition of the work). Following the agreed process will get you the best results, make it clear that thy need to resolved or else you'll be forced to claim on PI and builders insurance, if that fails, then go legal route.

The solicitor has no interest in the work, unlike say the bank or a insurance company. They are not going to have their own engineer to assess, they essential don't care. I'm not sure if they are really qualified to advise on who can make the right calls. You'll need to look for an experience engineer, registered, from outside the local area.

The insurance company may want their vetted engineer involved, if you proceed with a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mrsoft

Do you mind mentioning which part of the country you are in? Just to put my mind at ease.

Thanks

• Advertisement

F,@!king Lava 20 ! Slap it in and walk away.

I work in the flat roofing industry and this shite has exploded due to clever online marketing. Shure they're 'training' any feckin eejit to install that 'fool proof' product.

Listen, I don't know where you're located but it's nothing that cant be put right. It's part of the reason I pulled back from doing private work full time as I gave every roof my utmost best and this takes something from you each time. I hate went people are left with water dripping into their homes by cowboys.

I am based in the South East. Are we properly f**ked with the Lava 20??? We agreed to it at the start and have no other choice now! Can it be done properly using Lava 20? F**k sake we have put everything into this.

Thanks for your reply.

Im not saying it can't be done properly with Lava.

Firstly I'm not here to cause you any more stress. I'm sure if applied properly it can do its job and act as a good waterproof membrane ( I have heard good reports about it too coming from established roofing contractors ). And in your case if it needs another layer applied then that's a straight forward process.

It's just that sometimes flat roofs get a bad rap and it's not necessarily down to the product, it's down to how it's installed.

There has been a few products enter the market recently ( probably been around a while but getting more popular now ) claiming to be bomb proof, lifetime guarantee, etc etc. That's fine, maybe they are but they need to be installed correctly and by someone who understands how flat roofs & their product works.

Shure in one of Lava20 promo bids he has his bimbo looking lady friend installing it on a garden shed using a household dustpan brush.

Actually trying to say even this lady can install it. ( all respect to ladies but that's the impression it gives off , and it still looked shite at the end ).

Anyway, I believe they give a 20 year guarantee with it if I'm not mistaken.

Seriously, don't worry, it's nothing that can't be easily fixed if needed or improved if needed and that's a guarantee, no matter what the product is.

Advertisement