Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frying steak pieces

Options
  • 24-03-2024 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Have to fry some steak pieces later for a rather fussy eater who likes his steak well done.

It's one of those packet of steak pieces from Dunne's or Lidl.

Last time I did it had to cook for nearly 7-8 mins to cook the centre of each piece.

Steak turned out a bit tough.

What is the best way to tackle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭JVince

Slow cook for 6 hours about 100 degrees

Or take it out of the fridge 2-3 hours before cooking and fry at low temp for 25-30min

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Freeze the steaks. Fry quick and fast in butter from frozen. Allow to go cold and refrigerate. Microwave for 10 minutes on highest setting when you need to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

Don't have slow cooker

Thought it was hot pan and quick for steak

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Reverse sear it to well done even though that's a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

What sort of steak does it say it is on the packet? Steak pieces for stew would be pointless frying to eat as actual steak, you'd want sirloin or similar to have them edible just fried or are they more little slices of steak?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Cut the pieces smaller and it will cook through quicker

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Steak pieces as opposed to a full steak? Quick marinade them in some oil and salt and pepper and then fry them on medium high in a pan for about 5-8 minutes, turning regularly. Let them rest for the same about of time

its the only way my daughter will eat steak (usually in a ciabatta). The rest is the key as that gets rid of the blood*

*I know it’s not blood but it’s usually the thing that those who like steak well done fear the most

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

Diced steak pieces leaner options the package says

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Timfy

Something like this?

These are not meant for frying as such. These are for casseroles, stews and pie filling... anything requiring a long slow cook. You will end up with rubber bullets if you try to cook these like a "real" steak.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Well then look at price maybe, if cheap say around 10e per kg more likely to be stewing steak for long slow cooking, if they were good cuts I'm sure the package would say.

PS stick up pic of pack if you can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If it's to cook what most people would consider "a steak" for someone who just likes it particularly well done, either butterfly the steak and finish it in the oven for 15 minutes after it comes off the pan, or just use minute steak.

I can't fathom giving someone who thought they were having a steak dinner pre-cut, packaged meat.

I read it as though the person eating the 'steak' had bought it and OP was just cooking it but could be wrong of course!

Person might not like lump of meat as such and might prefer smaller pieces but if that is the case I would be more inclined to buy a sirloin/fillet or similar and slice it up and fry quickly, that way it would be tender enough to eat fried, I quite like to a fillet like that for rolls/sandwiches or stir fry especially if you dealing with 'well done' type people .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Yes for a nicely seared steak on the outside and medium or rare on the inside. If the fussy eater wants it well done, low temp for longer to get it to cook all the way through. My aunt could not have any pink on her steak and then was always complaining about it being tough. Meanwhile I was enjoying my melt in the mouth rare steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They're more suitable for stews and casseroles through long slow cooking.

They are not suitable for frying, and will remain tough no matter how long they are fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And probably not much good for stews, either, being the, "leaner option".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Advertisement