Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Installing larger engine, any issues with insurance?

Options
  • 23-03-2024 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Anyone gone through the process of putting a larger engine in their car? I want to put a 2.5 V6 from rusty shell into a donor Alfa 156.

I know I need an engineers report for changing taxbook.

My worry is with insurance, has anyone had issues with a modification of this type?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

You will have to inform your insurance company of any modifications. That will include you've swapped the engine for a larger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AlfaShlug

Could you direct me to the relevant one which I've duplicated Jabba?

Thank you for response.

I haven't yet done the swap and the car has never been insured by me. I can either try and save a the rusty shell which needs a lot of welding or move everything over to a donor shell.

My worry about the latter is that I may struggle to get insurance if it's modified.

Have you had experience doing a swap?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm a big fan of the 156, and moreso of the v6. Owned an 1.9 m-jet amongst other Alfas over the years. Quite the sleeper you'll have once that's done. Few enough of those type conversions being done these days. Would you keep us posted on the progress?

Ya, I'm looking forward to hearing it go! The original car is a '98 and sitting since 06 so it's got some rot on chassis legs and other awkward places, I'm not sure it's wise to save it. I have a low millage '00 with a 1.8TS as a potential new home for the V6 which is probably wiser to proceed with.

Will do!

• Advertisement

What, may I ask, had it sitting after only 8 years?!

I have a 1.8ts 145 still, 'bread-van'. Would love to get it back OTR.

No idea, thought it was unusual myself but couldn't resist. Engine is good so I was content to take the risk. Its only 66k miles on it, so Id imagine a project left on the back burner too long.

Not too many 145s around now.

Lovely car, I've only driven the 1.4TS, gas revvy little thing, loved it.

Does it need much work to be out back in the road?

Not a massive amount - belts, water pump, variator, etc, then wishbones and general maintenance including moss killer all over. 😂

Do you have the workshop manuals for the 156? I never had them for that model but you used to be able to download the ISO from some sources somewhere.

The moss isnt long claiming cars in Ireland!

Please share a pic when its up and running.

Or if you decide to focus on other and don't fancy the has of DD, Id certainly be interested. I still have regrets not taking the1.4 I've driven.

I downloaded a copy and was given a copy, both had the sections but no info in them and were very buggy so I gave up on finding some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

No. My post was duplicated, not yours. I managed to get it removed, but you must have seen it before I did that.

Edit. I don't know what's going on, but this one is now a duplicate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement