Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose a drill.

Options
  • 23-03-2024 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭

So my old Makita NiCad is dying or at least the batteries are. I already have an excellent Milwaukee M12 screwdriver so I won't be using it much for driving screws. I also have a mains SDS for concrete etc.

I would buy the Lidl 150 mn drill which has excellent reviews & is exceptionally powerful but it doesn't have a hammer function. I am thinking of Aldi, Lidl or Einhell as it's easy to get batteries here at a sensible price.

What would you suggest ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You can't really go wrong with the three you are thinking about, 3 year warranty with Lidl and Aldi, great price and battery can be used in a range of other tools.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you have an SDS drill then you don't need a drill with a hammer function.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I do because the SDS is a mains powered drill so great for bigger jobs but I would like something cordless. One option is to buy the Lidl drill which really does look amazing & then later buy the Lidl cordless SDS.

Does anyone know how you can buy the Aldi Pro range - I don't recall ever seeing them in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I can't remember the last time I use the hammer function on a drill and counting up I have 3 that have it along with one that doesn't and 3 SDS drills. The hammer function doesn't really add anything. Now in the UK if you are drilling into red bricks its good enough to save getting out an SDS drill but here with concrete everything I find it next to useless.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Yes although there are lot of the obligatory youtube videos showing a hammer drill going through concrete. I suspect that getting the Lidl cordless & then adding the SDS will be the best solution. That Lidl 150 nm drill is so impressive. But I can't find the price of batteries or when or if the SDS will available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You have Makita and Miwaukee tools already, I don't know about going for budget tools like Lidl and Aldi. DeWalt are pretty reasonable these days, I have the DCD 996 and its an animal of a drill

In saying that I have a Parkside performance impact wrench which is really good but doesn't get a lot of use, so if your going Parkside only get the performance range, they are brushless.

I did consider the Parkside performance range but they seem so difficult to find. I ended up getting the highly rated Milwaukee M12 Combi drill - very good deal on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭Shoog

The Parkside cordless drills are so so in my opinion. They run out of torque fairly quickly. Ok but it's a pain to have to wrench things up when they poop out or retrieve stuck wood bits.

There brutal SDS corded drills are very good for the money, typically they have lasted me 10 years before burning out. Go through very tough massed concrete like butter.

I agree. I have an old Parkside mains sds & it's excellent.

Just wanted to add here that, based on past experiences, I would of agreed however I have drilled several 10mm holes into concrete with my new hammer drill. No it's not as fast as a mains sds but it's not slow either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭pauly58

I've been disappointed with the last couple of drills from Aldi & bought a Ryobi 18v. Best drill I've used, lovely smooth trigger, drills into concrete blocks. 3yr warranty as well.

Even something like Ryobi is a step up from Aldi/Lidl, find the cordless stuff in Aldi very soft, Parkside Performance much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on this thread.

I'm looking for an SDS drill as my current drill (DeWalt 18v DCD795 cordless hammer drill) just can't do concrete walls. It's only for the odd DIY jobs of hanging shelves, curtain rails etc so don't want to go all out.

I was looking out for the Aldi and Lidl drills but see no sign of SDS drills coming up. Ryobi seems decent price but noticed this Bosch in Screwfix which seems a good price:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/bosch-gbh-2-21-2-3kg-electric-corded-sds-hammer-240v/319KY?tc=AI3&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwwr6wBhBcEiwAfMEQs8ekSQI-3-pTk7XskYS6FQ4TozQz4HW_Atn0VRfSINq0norgcRXzoRoCJEUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can you can the Parkside drills elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

@benzino

That's a very good price for a Bosch drill; I don't know that particular model but most of my power tools are Bosch and I think at that price point I'm not sure why anyone would bother with a Parkside, Ryobi, B & D etc.

Price point ? The Parkside is half the price of the Bosch. But it's a good deal.

I have that drill and paid about 170 at the time, that's a bargain price, it's a weapon of a drill

Another option, as you already have batteries & a charger, would be to buy a DeWalt 18v sds body only.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

For the occasional user the Bosch green uneo SDS is very good.. It has its own unique sds bits, but standard and hex shank also fit.... Go for 18v if you have some of the bosch green tools... But if you want more tools consider the 12v... Its batteries are 'almost' with a slight mod interchangeable with the extensive bosch 12v range.

I don't see any SDS drills available in Lidl though.

Good to hear, it seems good and affordable for my needs. Think I will pick it up today.

Good shout, but all the DeWalt's SDS seem more expensive even when body only unfortunately. I don't mind it be corded, just want it to be powerful enough for concrete.

I don't have any other Bosch tools, it was the price point that attracted me to this one. I think I'd prefer corded if I know it's going to be more powerful vs cordless.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Buy the Li Ion battery adapters from Amazon.

I did and have given my entire set of 2000 era Dewalts a new lease of life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Corded vs cordless doesnt mean which have more power.. what size of holes that you need more power...... Most of us are drilling regular concrete blocks with ordinary enough hammer and sds.

Got the Bosch from Screwfix anyway and went through concrete with ease. Very happy with purchase so far.

Advertisement