Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They are going after Simon already

Options
  • 23-03-2024 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭

The lad isn’t even elected yet and already the media and the keyboard warriors are going after him.

Is it any wonder that the career in politics is getting more and more unattractive.

At least give the guy a chance and don’t get the kicks in with two bit websites before he even starts.

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Only a fool of the highest order would take any position of a public nature at the moment, political, social or high profile sporting. People always complained but one could operate oblivious to the complaints as one generally wasn't aware of them. Social media has changed that scenario for good and even the disaffected , drunken, unhinged populace are free to disparage others. And that's the way it will be until the system collapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

That Bertie endorsement is gold 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Not saying it makes it worthwhile or justified but at least these lads are paid.

Even those who volunteer to run anything eg kids’ football get a lot of moaning and criticism from **** who don’t do anything. Would you be bothered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

OP on prime time television program the opposition parties have to lumps out of lesser TDs for far less.

Simon better do some cramming preparation for the Taoiseach role instead of trying to have the print media today sing the praises of him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: stepping in here to remind people about the Politics charter so no one-liner posts or meme posts. I'll leave the above posts but up the standard or the thread gets closed.

Furthermore keep this on topic - I'll be quick to close it if/when it goes off topic.

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Registered Users Posts: 66,877 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Quite simple really. Harris has a track record in performace in various ministries. Should it be forgotten just because he becomes Taoiseach?

Would anyone else’s past performance be forgotten if they became Taoiseach? I don’t think it would, why would this giys?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thought Ged Nash's attack on him, in an interview at the Labour Party conference was a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I would suggest that his track record is as good as any others in government.

However before the dogs are set on the lad as leader lad should not have the ‘usuals’ like Nash getting stuck in.

Whatever Harris achieved in government , it certainly outstrips anything Nash ever achieved.

• Advertisement

I don’t know who Nash is but any minister stands on their record. Nothing to hide or be ashamed of, he/she has nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What did he achieve in Health? His only big ministry. I can answer that - Nothing. When his no confidence vote brought down the government in early 2020, there were record trolley numbers and the children's hospital was spiralling out of control. He was widely criticised by all parties, including FF, for his handling of the health system. It was a health system that was very badly equipped to handle Covid which led to some of the longest lockdowns in Europe. He failed badly. His track record is very poor.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Micheal now has to vote in a Taoiseach he eviscerated in that health ministry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know he has to work in Coalition, but do you think he might be "bullied" by more ahem seasoned pols into doing things their way, not his way?

I'm not sure, given his relative inexperience, but then again Vlad was in the same boat. I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now and hope he is like a breath of fresh air and gets his ears syringed in order to listen to and actually HEAR what people need and want at the moment. And it ain't anymore Progressive stuff and dare I say it non visa approved immigration either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

This is just a similar scenario to Cowen taking over from Bertie and being the one caught holding the bag.

Leo making an absolute balls of housing, immigration, etc and gets out before things get worse and the probable FG trashing next election. Harris will be left holding the bag and will be removed by FG then for "failing" them.

The simpering about Simon being criticised or challenged on his past record has exposed the arrogant ‘we are untouchable’ FGers as this thread shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Social media has done a lot of damage to the prospects of stability in society . Where are they going to find this great fictional guru who is going to do everything right and satisfy all the opposing agendas? The minute someone takes on a position of authority they’re hounded and harassed and brought down. It’ll be the same after a general election, no matter who is in power. Who’d want to be a public figure, for any money??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Rosahane

If he changes policy to limit and deport IPA applicants, drop the hate crime bill and commit to roll back a lot of the green stupidity especially affecting the agricultural sector he will get core FG voters back on side.

This would be attractive to the wayward FF voters also.

Do that over the next six months and then go to the country - sooner if the Green revolt which they probably would.

if he doesn’t FG will lose seats to independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

Is the likes of Simon Harris scrolling through Twitter daily? Surely he has interns or someone to keep an eye on that.

There are still defamation laws and plenty of high-profile pols, like Bertie Ahern and David Cameron for instance, are unafraid to use them.

I don't see how its much worse than the yellow journalism of the past.

Also many 'public people' are themselves extremely provocative and antagonistic, e.g. Una Mullally, Owen Keegan (former chief executive of Dublin City Council). Or how about Aodhan Ó Ríordan complaining in the Dáil about 'conservative Christians' - his remit is to represent his constituents in Dublin Bay North, not to oppose Christians and Christianity.

It isn't just Billybob54 and QuakePlayer63 on Twitter who contribute to aggressive public discourse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have to say, this all reeks of Cowan after Bertie. Nice guy, all for the party, about to get hung out to dry for the impending recession or whatever is on the way. Bertie left it slightly too late but Leo might have been smart enough to get out just in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You would? He's fairly unique in the oireachtas to have caused the collapse of a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

It's not like his track record in politics is stellar ( apart from being promoted beyond his abilities). He's given the press all the ammunition they need

Was he handed the poisoned chalice to do penance for leaking the Zappone appointment that time you’d have to wonder. He was certainly in the bad books since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Did you really think they wouldn't? For some people their entire life revolved around leo and online abuse for him. He is gone and they have nothing else going on in their life so it turns to the next person.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Let's see...

He's never had a proper job, he failed in Health, brought down a Government, and he's counting Phil Hogan as a friend and advisor.

No, nothing to be concerned about there at all! Why wouldn't he be fit to lead a political party and Government/country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The Zappone incident, when I do a quick google for a thread on boards you are on it, taking part in attacking TD's online, sharing details via a spreadsheet. To what it looks like a coordinated attack online against TDs?

So maybe you can explain why think they are "untouchable"?

Also maybe you can explain what exactly was going on? from reading the thread is seems very very odd carry on

Edit: actually on second thoughts don't bother, I think from reading the thread is explain the situation perfectly.

So much for "untouchable"

What did any minister achieve in Health?

I can answer that-Nothing

You should see what they say about MLMD or Pearse on here at every opportunity and they have never been in government never mind had a ministry.

• Advertisement

20 years elected as a TD is 'not a proper job' plus various cabinet jobs?

I think we can see what we are dealing with here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement