Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with a Contractor

Options
  • 23-03-2024 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hello -

So i engaged with a company to supply and install some stairs and paid roughly 10K for this. I paid the full amount before installation as that was the company policy and it was a so called 'luxury' brand in flooring. Once the items were delivered to my house we set a date for installation of the stairs and on the date the guys came in and they werent able to do the job. As part of the stairs there was LED profiles which needed to be installed and the ones i bought were too big (i wasn't notified of the size of these before hand). Also, the guys started to tell me i needed stringers and some other stuff as well which would cost 1500-2000 euros more. As a result the guys left the job and rescheduled after a few weeks.

I bought the new LED profile which now fits in the stairs and some other stuff as well to make sure we are all aligned the next time the fitters come in. I had a few discussion with the company and was trying to understand what the extra 1500-2000 euro was for and felt that the person on the other end got irritated by my questions and told me it is either this or nothing. I decided to send them an email saying that i will not be paying the 1500-2000 euro extra as i didnt really understand what they were for and they need to make sure i am comfortable with what i am installing in my home. I told them to go ahead and just install the stairs as originally agreed in the amount already paid to them which included installation. On this, they got quite worked up and called me and told me that they will take the stuff from my house and issue me a full refund. I asked them for a refund before they pick up the stuff to which the declined and they said i can either have a refund of the installation cost (which i'm not told how much they are) and get the stairs fitted from someone else or they can give a full refund but will pick up the stuff before. I got this in writing over email from them that they will issue me the refund on the same day.

Now i just have some questions:

1. Their email says at the top WITHOUT PREDJUICE. What does that mean?
    2. Their email also says "The above settlement is offered on the understanding that it is in full and final settlement and all details of the contract and settlement will remain private and confidential. All parties agree not to disclose any detail of the contract and settlement without the express advance permission of all the other related parties in writing.". Is this legal? Surely i can give my reviews on Google and Whatsapp groups etc?
    3. Can i withhold the items untill i get a refund? My worry is that if i do that they will refund me just the installation costs and walk away. Also as the installation costs are not defined in the quote so they can define whatever they want as the installation costs.
    4. Should i obtain legal advice on this? and is there any body to whom i can complain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If I was you I'd let them take the materials back, get the full refund and tell the world who they are and what happened.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

OP you paid the full BEFORE.

Re Telling the world: The outfit will pay it's staff to write glowing reviews on trustpilot.

Advertisement