Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need some advice for driving test

Options
  • 22-03-2024 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,

1. I have done all my required lessons and for a myriad of reasons I haven't been able to do my test but it is coming up in April
    2. My teacher is great. I can't flaw the man. (I have had a few different instructors over the years and he is the best.)
    3. I don't have access to a car to practice and he is letting me use his for the test.

I am doing practice lessons with him and have lots of nerve issues related to the 'reverse around the corner' manoeuvre. His method is very different than my previous teacher's so I am getting confused but I have had this discussion with him and we are practicing more and he is being really supportive.

I suffer from stress related issues so I think for some weird reason this manoeuvre is triggering me. I have done it right loads of times but can't seem to get it right recently.

Anyone have any tips/advice other than practice, practice, practice?

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Practice definitely.

Easy for me to say try not to focus so had on one.particular manoeuvre but I realise you're stressing a little about it. So practice when you can. Don't forget all the other things that make up driving and really, see how things ago.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

If your old method was working better for you, can you not stick to that?

You are obviously capable of getting it right. I did my trailer test recently and on my last lesson, I made a mess of the reverse around the corner. It didn't help that I was a bit tired. So, I understand how it can affect one's confidence. But try not to let it get you down. Definitely get in your practice but get away from it all too. Whether it's a night at the cinema or whatever.

Be confident. You can do it. When doing the test, live in the moment. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Best of luck with the Test.

No judgment intended with this comment. It sounds like you have the skills to pass. Have you considered trying some breathing exercises for calming/nerves before you do a lesson? YouTube have loads of them and there are free ones on the Beaumont Hospital website too.

They might just settle you a bit. From my own experience, learning many years ago, there were days when I’d do a lesson and couldn’t drive to save myself. Whereas the week before I could’ve passed the test with my driving. It was just down to what was on my mind, my mood.

Being aware of that and being able to deal with it is just as important as the physical and mental skills needed to drive a car well.

Throw up any more questions you have here 🙂

http://www.beaumont.ie/marc

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

I have plenty of students that are like you OP. Always nervous about one of the manoeuvres, but once it’s talked through and a couple of them done, they are fine with it. You are overthinking it a bit, which doesn’t help matters. You just have to remember that all you are doing is driving up to a certain place, turning around and going back.

What are you like with parking? Reversing into bays? Sometimes that can help with the reverse around the corner as well, so don’t underestimate that manoeuvre either when out practicing.

When you are out practicing, don’t do it more than 3 times, especially if it’s not going your way, you’ll only get more frustrated. Leave it, go do something else and come back to it later.

I had a girl last year doing a test and on the reverse around the corner on the lesson right before it, it was described as one of the worst she ever done. She was all over the road and up on the kerb, so I took her away from it. She passed the test with flying colours. So try not to get too bogged into it, it’s all on the day and as long as you look around plenty you’ll be fine.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

What the examiner is looking for is very simple, can the applicant reverse safely into a road, keeping reasonably close to the kerb. So, just keep to your own side of the road. If you go wide it will only be a grade 2. If you go very wide or hit the kerb will be a 3 and a fail.

Safely is mainly observation, and very important. Check all around before moving off, look where you are going, at the turning point, stop check all around and again look where you are going. Depending on your speed give the odd quick check forward.

In the test if you realise you are making a mess, stop, ask the examiner can you start again. Unless you have already earned a grade 3 he will more than likely allow you to go ahead, try again.

Then drive forward, park (About 60 cms out). Take a few moments to compose yourself, then just reverse into the road and keep going until he tells you to stop.

People concentrate get too much on this "around the corner". Simply reverse into the road, keep to your own side.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"and as long as you look around plenty you’ll be fine."

"Safety is mainly observation, and very important. Check all around before moving off, look where you are going, at the turning point, stop check all around and again look where you are going. Depending on your speed give the odd quick check forward."

Some things never change - I did my first test many years ago and tester says I didn't look enough. Next time I made sure I twisted my head this way & that, deliberately moved my head to look in mirrors and not just glancing with eyes. In other words, make it very obvious you are checking and looking about.

And the odd time I've had a near thing in intervening years it's been mostly for momentary lack of checking, complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

You don’t need to stop at the turning point, and I advise against it. It should be one fluid motion and the only reason to stop is if there is other traffic. Also, you don’t need to ask the tester to start over, just pull forward to fix yourself up if you need to, you are allowed to do this once, so if you are too close to the kerb, make the most of it and be sure you won’t be too close the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Sorry, I disagree. I ALWAYS advised my pupils to stop to check their blind spot before they turned their wheel. Reason being, the front of the car swings out possibly into an oncoming car.

And also to be polite, ask. One pupil asked to do it again, but he said no I've seen enough.

So she drove back very dejected only to be told she had passed back at the centre.

Another asked and was told, certainly as many times as you like. They only needed the one.

As I said, no harm in being polite.

Advertisement