Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Purchase

Options
  • 22-03-2024 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭

So.. getting a bonus in work.

was thinking of buying a couple of watches.

1. Replace the IWC Chronograph I sold.
    2. Buy a Zodiac Super Sea Pineapple

or sell some stuff and then

3 - buy a Big Pilot and just have the one keeper ( well, have my Steinhart GP LE aswell )

4 - don’t be stupid.. go on a lot of holidays

Thoughts.... opinions

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Number 4 - kind of.

wait and see how much further the watch market crashes and then buy something really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Flights to Tokyo. Take advantage of that exchange rate. That’s my plan this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Nice.. great holiday maybe to Japan and pick up a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

There's a reason this forum is so quiet these days....

Stick some of it into prize bonds and see what way the market is in 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Put it into your pension, your retired self will thank your younger self later

Good point..

am meeting a finance person to advise on how to retire early

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's presuming you get to meet him of course. Ain't no longevity guarantees. I suppose if you buy the right watches at least they won't lose you any money, unlike a holiday, though they're nice too.

I do like the holiday and watch shopping combo idea. Is Japan where da bargains be at? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

Was in Japan last month on a work trip. Saved over 200 quid on a G Shock. 800 rrp online here, bought for 575. As a tourist there's a 10% discount on certain items including watches. There is an additional 7% off in certain shops when you spend a certain amount.

I've read online that the 10% discount covers second hand watches as well but double check as I wasn't looking to good second hand at the time.

I'd imagine the savings on a more upmarket watch would cover the costs of the flights and maybe your sushi bill while you're there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The sensible advice is of course to salt the bonus away into your pension. I am often frustrated that our pension pots are the only real tax efficient means of savings in Ireland. I don't consider the various schemes such as Sec 481 or other schemes set up to take advantage of Investment credits to be particularly attractive unless/until significant sums are being invested. (Mid 5 figures +). Now that's the "serious" bit finished 😉

As sparrowcar has said, there's a reason it's gone a tad quiet around here. I've 2 watches I'm considering letting go at the moment. Not because I need the cash, rather that I'm not wearing them and what's the point if not wearing them? I should, if I let them go at least break even, so not too much to worry about there.

If I do sell? A trip to Japan may well be an option but, for some Sinn JDM models rather than any particular savings on Swiss or others.

• Advertisement

Sensible boring pension and investment talk aside I don’t think there’s anything particularly interesting in the watch world at the moment.Most likely due to the post hype come down.Ive sold a few pieces over the last month so have about €10k in the watch fund to buy something but just can’t decide on what to buy.

I feel” Rolexed”out and the one model I want is the Pepsi but it’s still way overpriced .Patek is a grail but have always said I’ll wait till I hit fifty for that .i had myself convinced I wanted a Royal Oak offshore till I tried one on and for me it’s too big. VC fifty six was my next choice but dress watches are not really my thing .Im not bored with watches but definitely feel content with what I have and unless something interesting comes along I won’t be adding to the collection.Don't think I’m my own in that regard either .

Sensible comments all.. thanks

am gonna hold off for a while.

also agree that I could buy and then maybe not wear them.. so what’s the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

far too sensibile. Spend yer money lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yeah you kind of get to the point where you need to spend multiples to get to the next stage and I'm not sure it's worth it, I have 6 at the moment I'm happy with to be honest, don't feel like spending a fortune on something else, I must have had 100 different 'good' watches through my ownership over the past 15 years maybe ive had enough 😂

I've got 14 not all 4 figures but it's still quite a wedge tied up. I have no real urge to play the Rolex game.

I've had a flavour of High Horology via buying from 893's cast offs😉, the VC and my current Blancpain really are beautiful but again? I can only wear one at a time and even with a rotation? I find myself gravitating to the same 3/4 core group.

There's a couple of pieces I do want to try, but they are German rather than Swiss. A Sinn Damazsener and a Ti 144 GMT. If the chance comes my way for 556 F4 or a SeaQ panoramic date might tickle my fancy too.

I've abandoned the progression lark and have found myself quite happy with mid range German tool watches and occasional swiss interludes via my Omega & IWC and the Tudor I forgot I owned until I started this stream of consciousness 🤣

TLDR; I need to slim down the watchbox for the sake of my sanity rather than my wallet.

you kind of get to the point where you need to spend multiples to get to the next stage and I'm not sure it's worth it

Thats definitely something I’m feeling.Everything I’ve had or have is under the €10k mark and I think that’s where I’m comfortable at.Ive no interest in precious metals rolex yet so I’m stuck at stainless and currently have the sub , DJ and OP so feel done with the brand .Next step is holy trinity but as you say not sure if it is worth it.

It’s worth it.

Me, 5 minutes after I step out of your car 😉

You're a gateway drug!🤣

Is it though really ? To buy your Patek would cost about €60k ish??So that’s my submariner plus €50,000 .I don’t see it being worth that much more than a sub. I know that the value argument is a subjective one but it’s hard to find fault with a sub and I don’t see that extra value there.

I can understand your VC being worth a few grand more than the sub but we’d still be talking a sub €15k watch. More than that and it’s just hard to see value and at the moment with the risk of further price drops ,I’m going to stay in my comfort zone.

Patek aside there are loads of options in the 15-25k.

Aquanuat a 35k option now I would say rather than 60k.

• Advertisement

the progression lark doesn’t bother me.

i have had grails.. but I guess it comes down to money invested versus gain.

as mentioned you can only wear one at a time..

Investing several thousand in many to have several on rotation on kept away lost all reasoning to me.

Get one or two to wear often was my objective

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No. 4 for me, the way the world is looking we might not be able to travel anywhere in a few more years. I can still buy a watch from Ukraine, but I wouldn't want to go there on holidays.

Now I wouldn't be in the same league for spending money on watches as some of the people here. A bonus for me at work is getting all my farm subsidies on time and without penalties.

I haven't bought a watch since the pandemic, and the last watch shop I was in was the Swatch shop in Salzburg, didn't buy anything, just wanted a look at their Blancpain bioceramic to see what all the fuss was about. Needless to say I wasn't impressed. I probably could/should buy a few more vintage Longines watches, but nothing is jumping out at me even though prices have dropped.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement