Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horsebox

Options
  • 22-03-2024 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know what the legalities are of having a horse trailer parked on a public road 🐴

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

A bit more detail and listing your concerns might help get relevant answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

Is the horsebox attached to an insured vehicle when parked on the public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Carley353

No, it's just parked for long periods with some sort of stone or block either side of the wheels to stop it moving.

When you say public road, do you mean on an actual road and one or both lanes are blocked. Is it a setback area in front on someone's house. A pic would help.

It's in a residential housing estate, parked along the side of the road the way cars are parked, but it's been there for a very long time so it doesn't seem that it's ever used. It's just parked at an awkward spot so it would preferable if it was parked somewhere else! I was just wondering do these things need tax, insurance, etc. It wasn't easy to find info online so I thought somebody else more familiar with these vehicles might be able to advise

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tax and insurance wouldn't be required as it is not a mechanically propelled vehicle.

however, there may be issues with it being left there for long periods of time. Have you approached the owner or your local residents association? Depending on what you mean by an akward spot, if it poses a risk then you could contact the council or the gardai.

Interesting. I would have thought all vehicles on the public road would at least need to have 3rd party insurance, in case of a collision. Seems like road tax would be in order too when you're using a public road for your storage facility. Could you point to where this formation is available online re tax & insurance?

I would have thought all vehicles on the public road would at least need to have 3rd party insurance, in case of a collision.

You told us that it is a trailer so it is not a vehicle and not self-propelled (it needs to be towed)

Seems like road tax would be in order too when you're using a public road for your storage facility.

Ireland does not have road tax.

However, as you have told us it was a trailer, it won't have an engine and therefore would not be subject to motor tax.

Could you point to where this formation is available online re tax & insurance?

Whether a trailer needs motor tax or insurance? I don't think you'll find that info anywhere!

Is the estate road a public road which is in the charge of the council. It might be a private road

Just doing an online search of companies selling these trailers in Ireland and the first one I look at states 'Firstly, the most important recommendation is to insure your trailer. There are many insurance brokers who will insure your trailer, some on it’s own with others adding it onto your towing vehicle or even your horse policy.' So maybe other people might be able to better inform.

I'm sure most people recognise that motor tax is often colloquially referred to as road tax, notwithstanding the criteria to qualify for said tax.

• Advertisement

It is just a regular housing estate, so no private roads unfortunately!

Firstly motor tax is not road tax because motro tax is for mechanically propelled vehicles only which your trailer is not.

As for insurance, what you are quoting is to protect your property against risks of theft. Previously you were referring to the obligatory insurance cover mechanically propelled vehicles need. Make up your mind what you want because your OP referred to the legalities whereas you are now looking into optional cover.

Thanks for the hostile & belittling responses. Maybe someone else could respond though who does understand what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

The insurance is because they are often a target for theft.

I've given you the correct information in response to your original question. However, you have questioned this information on what appears to be a complete lack of understanding of the difference between a trailer and a mechanically propelled vehicle following which you then moved the goalposts to theft cover (which has nothing to do with your original question)

I did not move any goalposts. My enquiry was always about the requirements to park a vehicle on a public road. For which to comply with the law most vehicles on the road do need to be taxed and insured. I asked about 3rd party insurance after researching another similar thread on Boards.ie which mentioned that requirement. I'm just someone looking for information on a type of vehicle I have no experience of, from others that do. But your responses do not scream helpfulness, more superiority with an intent to ridicule...."make up your mind"....."complete lack of understanding"....etc. These types of belittling responses don't make for enjoyable reading for those with a passing interest in the subject. Inferring that someone's question is so stupid that they won't find that info anywhere is not conducive to an open discussion where interested people can ask questions and learn, which is most likely why they're here in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

If it was a desirable trailer it definitely wouldn’t be there long.

Not all estate roads are in the charge of the council. You mention "parked at an awkward spot so it would preferable if it was parked somewhere else!" what's awkward about it. Also, would a van or another car not park here if the trailer was not there. Is the trailer parked at a location where it's viewable from your property.

Yes, you definitely wouldn't describe it as desirable! 😝

• Advertisement

It’s not a vehicle. This is the part you seem stuck on.

I have a Honda civic in my drive. That’s a vehicle.

My neighbour has a trailer in his back garden. That’s not a vehicle.

Do you understand? A trailer is NOT a vehicle. It can be left wherever you want as long as it’s not obstructing traffic or someone’s driveway etc.

Insurance and tax don’t apply here and insurance for theft is different. Before you start asking about NCT, they don’t need those either.

Yes quite possibly the space would be taken by another car if it were not there. But they would move occasionally with regular use and wouldn't be a constant obstruction close to a junction with buses and other cars having to wait to manoeuvre cos there's so little space. So that's why it should be easier to manoeuvre sometimes if it wasn't there. Plus doesn't help that it's an unslghtly eyesore. Not that it makes much difference but I suspect the owner doesn't even live on the road it's parked on. It's not directly visible from my property but is for some neighbours.

Gettinng into semantics now but a dictionary definition of a horse trailer is 'a vehicle for transporting horses that is pulled behind another vehicle' so I don't think it's off the wall to describe it as a vehicle. The same way a caravan is described as 'a wheeled vehicle for living or travelling in, that can be pulled by a car'. I think most people driving would describe anything else moving or being moved on the roads as a vehicle. Nevertheless, the consensus seems to be that there's no tax or insurance obligation which is surprising to me but anyway There was no query in my mind about NCT.

Have you a pic showing the location or Google coordinates

Look, mate, does it have an engine? Is it propelled mechanically? If the answer is NO it’s not liable for motor tax, NCT, insurance etc. that’s the end of it.

You can bring up any semantics you want that is just the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If this is the trailer, I won't be watching the full film...

Not your ornery onager

No need to repeat ad naseaum, we got that a long way back. I never mentioned NCT, you brought that up.

So many grumps on here, who can't be civil in their responses, it's an ordeal to read some of the threads. The irony of being a moderator of Social & Fun.

Don't bother to reply anymore, I've had enough of the dismissive rebukes from all the know-it-alls.

Know it all?

ah here you’re posting the dictionary definition of a trailer in order to make some non argument that it’s a vehicle so must be subject to tax and insurance.

You were told I don’t know how many times in the clearest way possible it’s not a vehicle subject to tax or insurance and rather than accept that like anyone else would you went to argue it to the death.

no one’s being a smart arse here except yourself OP.

And you were asked not to respond but you clearly couldn't accept that. Yet your definition of a vehicle has to be accepted by all without question?

I don't agree with your definition and you go straight to irate. I think I'll go with the dictionary definition if it's all the same to you.

I accepted the opinion that tax and insurance are not obligatory back at in #8 and just looked for where I could verify this for clarity. Where's the crime in that?? Then you try to diminish me by suggesting I was expecting an NCT to be performed on a trailer.

I don't know how someone expressing their surprise at an answer sounds arugmentative to you. To me it's just conversational. But the responses from some are not delivered in a way that you would speak to someone in person, so why be so aggressive in print? It's overly critical and makes me remember why I gave up reading this website years ago.

So have at it with your 'fun forum' Smart Arse. I'll go somewhere else where the moderators aren't so belligerent.

• Advertisement

I accepted the opinion that tax and insurance are not obligatory back at in #8 and just looked for where I could verify this for clarity. Where's the crime in that??

In post 8 you asked me for sources that a trailer didn't need tax and insurance when you asked me...

Could you point to where this formation is available online re tax & insurance?

As for this...

So have at it with your 'fun forum' Smart Arse. I'll go somewhere else where the moderators aren't so belligerent.

...anyone who provided you with a correct solution were questioned and made feel we wasted our time trying to help you. Now you think you can insult someone who got tired of your responses?

I'll know better next time you ask for help on here and I'd advise others to be wary of your nonsense!

Advertisement