Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When is Mileage too high?

Options
  • 21-03-2024 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Im looking at a couple of cars on DoneDeal a

2010 A8 3.0Tdi with 250K Miles

131 Honda CRV 2.2 Dtec with 242k Miles

172 Opel Insignia with 190k Miles

If they have being serviced pretty well would they be only run in?

Any thoughts

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

They are all far from only ran in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Miles or kilometres?

And regardless, 14 year old A8 with only 250 whatevers.🙄

OP states miles 3 times so I’d assume its miles ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I personally wouldn't go beyond 180000 miles depending on the price of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I sold a 2014 A6 in 2022 and it was starting to cost a few quid on things needing replacing, it had 80k miles on it. Could have kept it on the road no problem, nothing serious wrong but depends on what has been done to that A8 already and what still needs to be done, could get very lucky or unlucky but my guess would be that will be a money pit more than the other 2.

I don't know anything about the Honda or the insignia but if I wanted hassle free I'd go Honda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Yes all in miles

I see many ones on done deal selling cars as a side hustle , can key in the reg on the motor tax site and see if its changed owners in the last few months. Bit of a red flag for me over buying from original owner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Personally I would only buy car over 150,000 miles unless you can do bit of Maintenance yourself

Insignia New shape with 320000 Kilometres are they a ticking time bomb like the old Insignia models?

Supposedly if Honda made people no one would ever die...242000 miles is alot mainly motorway miles

As for Audi A8 3.0 Tdi has part service history up to 150k miles now on 250k Miles could it go to 250k without a major issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A8 is a different proposition to the other two in that if something goes wrong you can guarantee it won't be cheap to fix. Cost of repairs would be on a different level to the others which could result in being too expensive to fix. The car would want to be really cheap to afford to walk away from it if something big goes wrong.

At the end of the day nobody here has a crystal ball. Any car is capable of high mileage but any car is also capable of breaking your heart and wallet. There is no hard or fast rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭goochy

x3 completely different cars ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Insignia is junk - one with that type of mileage is going to turn into a money pit.

I had a 2.2 Civic with over 500,000 kms on it - it was a trade in that we took in and I kept it as my everyday driver for another 2 years and put another 40k on it -I dont think I even changed the oil in it for those 2 years and not a bother on it. Fun car to drive which is why I kept it despite a new company car being offered to me every 6 months.

I dont know much about Audis but between the Insignia and Civic Id go with the Civic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

It could go a million miles without issue, or it could clap out 10 minutes after you get it, how tf would anyone here know if a car with 250k miles will do another 250k miles without major issue!?

Limited budget looking for a big car more so that I can fit into it as I'm like a cross between a Hungarian weight lifter and a silver back gorilla 🦍

Always fancied an A8 but conscious if something goes wrong it would be eye watering but I'd risk it if price was cheap and it had a pretty recent nct.

Was looking at RAV 4s as well 2007 and 2008 petrol 2.0 and diesel 2.2 they seem to handle mileage fairly well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭goochy

is the road tax on A8 NOT €1250 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Big cars are not always easier to get into than small ones. I had a BMW F02 750Li and a Cooper S Mini at the same time. Couldn’t get in and out of BMW without rubbing shoulders on door, no issue with Mini. This is at 6’5” and 300lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

With the likes of an A8, even if it say on the motorway for every single one of those 250k miles - it's still a 14+ year old luxury car. Regardless of milage, electrical contacts will tarnish, bearings will run dry of grease, rubber seals and suspension bushings will wear out, and you're into big cost when that does happen.

Being an A8 too, second hand parts will be rarer than an A6. You can almost certainly source anything you need new direct from Audi, and plenty will be common across the VAG parts bin, but they'll be expensive.

Saw A8 today too small bumping my head getting into it even with seat all way back and low steering wheel wouldn't really raise high enough either...guess it's SUVs I need to look at...

Funny I could get into a Nissan Tilda before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I wouldn't buy anything above 100,000 miles (160,000 km). It will be more hassle with frequent repairs. Just based on my personal experience and opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭jmreire

What ever hope you have with a full-service history going with it, regardless of the mileage, I'd be inclined to steer clear of anything over 150 miles. I'd take a chance on the Audi 8 even with higher mileage, subject to the service history, those engines are built for high mileages.

• Advertisement

Audi was manky inside mould growing on seatbelts looked better in photos than in real life...

What about a lexus GS 450 H 2007 ? Could I squeeze into that?

Massive tax but be fun for a year

Whats your budget? 2008 has cheap tax. Extremely reliable car. I had an RX450h with almost 500k km

Ended up buying a lexus GS450H today it's some car altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭sligopaul

excellent throw up some pictures when you get a chance

Came with FSH original purchase receipt from Kearys in Cork

It has just 58k miles on it (95000km)

Passed NCT couple of weeks ago taxed till June

Tyres all good just had a service

Mark Levinson stereo with cd/dvd and a tape deck awesome sound off it

Sat Nav , black leather interior with heated and cooled seats, a rear window blind, radar cruise control and I can only describe the interior as being in time warp condition...everything works.

Had alot if interest in it apparently despite the crazy tax rate .

Was averaging 14.5 litres per 100k coming down from Dublin was thinking was something wrong ..but sure I had it in S mode..

Once I put it into D was returning 7.8 per 100k

The power is unreal 340 odd I think

So going to get it in for a detailing might put a tint on rear windows, hybrid system seems ok... absolutely thrilled with it.

Ordered a obd Bluetooth yoke and some new mats off amazon so will run that doctor Prius app on it to see the health of the battery's...

I think it's a definite Luxobarge...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

They are old skool luxury, serious power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Congrats on your recent purchase. Tiny mileage and Lexus have a fine reputation for reliability. Just out of interest, what is the road tax ? If its the 07 with a 3.5L must be the max ie. €1,809?

an 08 would be only €750 I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Well done, a fine car.

Advertisement