Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bench warrant for non attendance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lads it’s not a genuine letter. It’s someone chancing their arm at intimidation - my god

The mere mention of Garda and Bench Warrants. Get a grip ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think you are being kind.

The op should not ignore the letter, he/she should bring it to a solicitor for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭StormForce13

Agreed.

Fortunately, the OP is a lot brighter than the Cretian gentleman who provided that unhelpful advice, so is taking the letter seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 advisemerite

No bench warrant for loans as it's civil. You are not summoned to attend you are notified. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I don't think that's the case, as i was notified already but missed the court date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 advisemerite

Honestly, it's a civil case. There is no bench warrant for that. Even your wording in the last post you say you were notified, you didn't say summoned. You were in fact notified. Being notified, notifies you of the date and time. You can attend if you wish, if you don't the court will go ahead without you. The judge will rule in your absence. He will not issue a bench warrant for you because you weren't summoned.

Contact your local District court or Circuit court by email and ask them the outcome of the case quoting the case number.

Don't worry there is no bench warrant for a debt case. It's civil not criminal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Solicitors do not blatantly lie about the actions the court and they certainly would not put it in writing, if they did they be in a heap of trouble. And the excerpt the OP posted show it was for his failure to attend. The fact that the judge did not just go a head with a ruling but issued a bench warrant leads me to conclude we are getting a very edited version of the events.

There is nothing edited apart from my name and the plaintiff etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭dennyk

There's a fairly good chance this is legitimate and the creditor has gone to the District Court to seek an instalment order and the OP failed to attend the hearing. The judge can issue a bench warrant and have the guards try to locate the OP and bring them to court in that case. It's not a warrant for an arrest on suspicion of committing a crime, it's to compel the OP to attend the court proceedings.

OP, it would be wise to contact the guards to discuss this, because the next step if you still continue to ignore the situation and fail to attend court could be arrest and imprisonment, or the creditor will move on to execution against goods instead and the sheriff or country registrar will be coming by eventually to seize and liquidate all of your belongings.

• Advertisement

I have already rang the guards and left my details.

I have already rang the guards and left my details.

The solicitors said to contact the gardai in order to make arrangements to execute the warrant, I have already left my details?

Advertisement