Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Taxation

Options
  • 21-03-2024 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I’m an American married to an Irish citizen, I wil be applying for my citizenship in Ireland soon, I am paying my taxes in the US (North Carolina and Federal taxes) for my current job. When I retire from my job should I continue doing my return in the Stares or here in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

If you're resident in Ireland, then you are liable to pay tax in Ireland.

If some of your income is being taxed in the US then it might be exempt here, or you might get a credit for the US tax here - it depends on the type of income it is.

If you're a US citizen then I believe you have an obligation to file a US return. That doesn't mean you don't have an obligation to file a return in Ireland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm married to a US citizen and living in Ireland. You will need to file federal taxes and FBAR (a declaration of your foreign bank accounts and pension funds) even if living in Ireland. If you're not earning any income in the US and earn less than $100,000 abroad then you won't need to pay anything to the IRS, but you still need to declare what you have. There's plenty of services that can assist with filing the returns if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It can be financially beneficial to look into renouncing citizenship for tax reasons, but of course that's not an acceptable option for many.

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/knowledge-center/renounce-us-citizenship/

https://ie.usembassy.gov/renunciation-of-u-s-citizenship/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You will be eternally required to file a US 1040 while you retain US citizenship. You might not have US tax liability but you will have a return obligation. Certain usual life activities, such as the sale of an Irish principal private residence, may have substantially different treatments in the US and Ireland which can influence whether you want to retain US citizenship.

Advertisement