Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Hayes Suspended Sentence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Whataboutism or whataboutery (as in "what about…?") is a pejorative for the strategy of responding to an accusation with a counter-accusation instead of a defense of the original accusation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭LeoD

No, it highlights the faux outrage and hypocrisy of those who consider the suspended sentence an injustice when much more serious crimes get similar treatment every day of the week without a peep. 18 months prison for someone who hasn't put a foot wrong before or since for a fight in a nightclub? If that's the standard people expect we better start building 1000's of prison cells fast. Anyone who thinks an amateur athlete must be some sort of public role model does so on their own volition. Everyone has their flaws and make mistakes - unfortunately for KH because he's particularly good at his hobby his mistake gets plastered all over the front pages of the national press and he'll have to endure verbal abuse from thousands of individuals for years to come. Of course what he did that night was terrible but on the balance of things he's done a lot more good than bad in his life so he should just be allowed to get on with his life. But of course that won't be possible as that's the society we live in now so best of luck with the keyboard anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Kyle Hayes is nothing more than an unrepentant lowlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The very thought out and sustained nature of Hayes’s actions paint to me a nasty bastid. Even more galling that Kiely was so supportive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Conversations 3

You're at nothing trying to defend him, he's a thug and that's it.

He fought inside and outside the nightclub, kicked a man on the ground in the head and then ran away from the Gardai.

Then he decides to plead not guilty to all charges, and shows no remorse.

He's meant to be a role model to young gaa fans, he's teaching them they can get away with assault if they're good at hurling.

Kiely is nearly as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Seadin

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Kilkennys team of the 00s were untouchable and then they were beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think you're missing the point here. It's a good rhetorical technique to mention 'whataboutery' as if no other comparison can be suggested without it looking like an excuse.

However, it seems to me that the law is all about precedent/comparison and anyone in my company in recent months with a whisker of experience of the law (including guards) was saying that with no previous convictions, and a not guilty verdict on the assault charge, this would almost certainly be a suspended sentence. As a (Limerick) Guard said to me a few months back when predicting this "they don't even put the criminals in jail these days".

The examples the other poster provided are extremely relevant and show that this verdict is not an outlier by any means. Then again when you have people saying things like "he should get jail for not showing remorse" (what are you in jail for?......oh I killed someone........what about you?.......oh I didn't say sorry..) or he should get jail because he said "do you know who I am?" reality is out the window.

The law doesn't care whether you like someone or not. Nor does it worry much about who wins the All Ireland. It will generally sentence someone within consistently established parameters (otherwise the sentence won't stand up) and that's what happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If that's true then Cody is a fuking muppet.

I wouldn't want some stuck up Mary Whitehouse like that "representing me" (not that I think any sports person represents me)

I doubt it's true though because there are plenty of stories of Kilkenny players doing wilder (not bad) stuff than cursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭almostover

It wasn't a fight in a nightclub. It was a beating of a man by a gang of other men led by Kyle Hayes. They beat a defebless man while he lay on the ground outside a nightclub, fracturing his eye socket. It was a disgusting and cowardly act.

• Advertisement

Charlie Carter was a only sub in the 2002 All Ireland final. He sulked because despite a few successful games in 2003 it was clear he was still not in Cody's plans as a starter. Mulhall was peripheral anyway. Being a boorish character would not have been the proximate reason for his marginalisation. They were both dispensible.

Cody never had a player like Kyle Hayes nor a comparable situation. There is no evidence as to how he'd have reacted, only chest-beating and claims of moral superiority. Since Cody was charged with winning hurling matches rather than shaping the moral character of a people I would expect Cody would've stood by his man if, like I said, he had had a player like Kyle Hayes, and a comparable situation. And I'd fancy that the player'd be cheered to the rafters by every yokel from Ballyhale to Kilkenny as he took the field if he was likely to help them win. It'd be called "supporting him" and generally passed off in second-chance and well-being language as a sign of the superiority of Kilkenny people for having the moral fibre to forgive and help lift the fallen in their time of need. Speculation of course but it's speculation as worthy as anyone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Glenomra

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭boetstark

Is he a suitable person from a moral point of view to represent Limerick.

He didn't have the balls or moral compass to man up to his actions. He could have saved the victim and the state the hassle and expense of a trial.

Kiely the snake as good as lying on his behalf in court and had to be pulled up on it by the judge , shame on him.

JP a fantastic charitable man could put a stop to all this social media crap and request that hayes is suspended from squad for the duration of his court sentence. Instead hayes miraculously comes up with 65k offer to victim to drop the case.

Hayes , Kiely and anyone that claps him on the back and this drive for 5 **** , shame on every one of ye. 99% of the country hope Limerick are beat out the gate in every match.

Paddy Jackson and Stuart holding were publicly hounded out of Ireland despite been found not guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭shocs07

Unless the population of Limerick has suddenly shrunk, 99% might be a tad of an exaggeration 😉

I think you'll find I explicitly acknowledged the supposition on both sides if you read my post.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So what. That wasnt good enough then, and neither is this.

Same as diarmuid Connolly too.all got off far too lightly

He assaukted someone. That's the behaviour of a scumbag and finance aside he's been allowed keep playing for limerick. If he had no talent but the nicest person in the world, Kiely wouldn't give him a second thought

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭boetstark

Well not every Limerick person is a sheep following the Limerick hurling team. In the office section 4 of us wouldn't cross the road to watch them. All people living in Limerick.

Limerick fans are as bad as the team. Can't wait for them to be shut up , for another 20 something years at least

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭shocs07

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I don't see how someone in a vehicle committing a crime has any relevance to this assault case. Every case is different.

And I think it's obvious that the vast majority of people in the country are very frustrated with sentencing right across the board from sexual deviancy to bankers stealing millions to brown envelope payments to politicians. It's not a new thing. The vast majority of people angry at this sentencing have no interest in hurling. They see someone in a position of privilege getting away with something because of who they are, yet again. A desire for stronger sentencing is not new or related to this case. That's been around a long time. When people read that a victim lost the ability to drive a night and see suspended sentence and a measly 10,000 they get angry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's more to point out that vehicular assault, manslaughter etc is not taken very seriously in Ireland generally

Basically if you want to assault someone do it behind the wheel of your car. Might get a driving ban if youre unlucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Im not comfortable as a Limerick supporter with Hayes playing in this years Championship!

Its not a good look for Limerick GAA!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement