Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So, he realises he's not as popular as he once was, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Thats my thinking as well. You don't emotionally resign out of the blue by your own choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Modulok

Good riddance to bad rubbish as far as I’m concerned. One of the worst Taoisaigh in my opinion. There isn’t a single alternative in the current government that I’d like either.

I have no doubt that Leo was ultimately bored by Ireland, silly notions of nationhood, and things Irish.

Off to some cushy role in the private sector on some board or other, I suspect. Or worse for all of us, an EU post.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Worst Taoiseach ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

Will inanimate carbon rod be on the ballot paper? I think I like the cut of inanimate carbon rods jib!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bob Marley Park

He got bored and knows a rinsing is coming at the next election.

He made his money.

Maybe he's being announced as the next James Bond?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Broadband was installed in my parents area. They used the bottom of my folks garden (at the road) as their base and were in the area a good few months. Rang up sky to get it activated, sent their guys out, and engineers couldn’t find a connection. Turns out they went left and went right of my parents but forgot to do the one property that they’d squatted on!

Sums up Leo’s time in office 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭supereurope

McEntee would ensure an electoral wipeout. Perhaps that's why she might be the one to take over? No one is really going to want the job at this time, so put her in the role, then replace her after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Be some knife fighting in FG party now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

On the contrary, I'd say most of the country would burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Northernlily

There has to be something seismic coming. Strange one.

He may have started politics with the best of intentions but he has left the country in a far worse place. Social cohesion is on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Timing and suddenness is weird, but if there was a scandal, he'd be resigning as Taoiseach with immediate effect, not hanging on for a few weeks for FG to elect a new leader to take over from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Patser

Coveney might get it, he's FG to the core and could get the support from within the party.

Slightly uninspiring but might be what FG need as they reorganise. Someone earlier in this thread said he'd be another Enda - but Enda as boring as he was steadied the ship massively after the 2008 crash, at a time of massive political pressure.

FG more than likely out of power next year, so Coveney quietly reorganising from within might be what FG need.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭rodders999

No doubt he leaked the story himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

One of the few times I’ll agree with Paul Murphy. Let’s hope he organises a peaceful protest for this…

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Never forget The Biffo.

This has been one of the worst governments ever but Leo definitely not the worst leader that has to be Biffo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭yagan

It's something I don't like admitting having emigrated after the bertie bubble, but MM has been much better at saying things as they are compared to the waffler Varadkar. On issues like Gaza MM is more aligned with SF than FG. Varadkar has no spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Gary_dunne

RTE political correspondent saying "He looked as surprised as the rest of us that he was making this statement."

Him saying that he has no plans set in place makes me think he was pushed rather than jumping, doesn't seem to want to be stepping down. (Somehow) He thinks he's done a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

He ran his party into the ground and left them without a leader for three elections. Ran away from the judgment of the people on his appalling record.

Leo Varadkar was no leader. He was nothing more than a coward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

A good day, he has been a disgrace from day one. I hope he is held to account for the many instances of corruption he has been able to sweep under the carpet to date.

Presided over the mass immigration WEF Policy and has bolted now with the barn door left open unattended.

I hope Tayto McEntee goes for it to get FG utterly destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭almostover

No fan of Leo but in fairness what option had he? The referendum was so close to the trip to the US that it made sense that he go as Taoiseach to perform the usual pleasantries with the president. It would have represented Ireland badly had he resigned knee jerk and we have to scramble some substitute in his place.

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

lol.

I get that Varadkar is not everyone's cup of tea but the only way anyone thinks he's the worst ever is if they have absolutely no notion of some of the people who had the job before him.

There have been many worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

Everybody knew he was going to jump ship to a cushy EU job as soon as the opportunity arose.

It does have that feel doesn't it? Except, who can push him? Which is why I am thinking scandal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Watching on RTÉ...

Mary Regan looks like she had a late one last night and was totally unprepared to be on TV at lunchtime today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm calling it now, he'll get a Nick Clegg-style role at Salesday or some other CRM conglomerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Big scandal incoming. Rumours flying around that Leo is going to be outed as a heterosexual.

I'd say in reality he's either just moving on to some other bigger role (as in EU) or else deciding to get out and go back to being a doctor. There'd only be so long you could put up with sh1te from the public

• Registered Users Posts: 15,809 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Getting out to leave someone else deal with the mess, classic Leo move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Did he thank Matt in his speech?

Advertisement