Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired internet

Options
  • 20-03-2024 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Has anyone ever got their house wired for internet in recent times so that you don't have to connect to the internet wireless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Houses are build wired / houses retrofitted with wiring for Ethernet, this is for last decade or more.

What is your actual query ?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Hylus83

Yes - when the house was being renovated & re-wired about 7 years ago. I had CAT6 Ethernet cable fitted to every room, including the hallway & kitchen. Very glad I did too as some are in use by computers since I & my partner both work from home now, others by tvs & set top boxes and it also allowed me to connect additional routers to the network in “bridge mode” to boost WiFi throughout the house.

if you’re re-wiring your house anyway, I’d recommend it. If you’re not, I wouldn’t bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

You're talking about a home LAN op.

You'd need an electrician to scope out and price the work. You'll need the cabling run to a central location, where you can install a patch panel, and a switch, which will then connect to your router/gateway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

It is a big regret of mine that I didn't get my house wired for ethernet when I built but it didn't even occur to me at the time. I've since added some CAT6 cables but would have been so much easier to do so at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭slystallone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

Yes. Pulled the cables through ducts that had been put in for TV aerial cable I didn't need and put a hub in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

I have / had an unstable wireless connection to the TV. Ran a cable directly from the router to the (floating) TV - had some ducting in place, much better. Got a flat CAT 8 cable with prefixed heads

Advertisement