Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap card trip more expensive than Irish rail return ?

Options
  • 20-03-2024 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this was odd... Raheny to Connolly return was €3.85 for my friend paying cash on Irish Rail, but €4 for me using my Leap Card (2 x €2).

Always assumed Leap card was supposed to be discounted?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I guess it's just a quirk of the flat fare system that the leap card uses - there will always be some trips that will be dearer than they were on a distance based system.

Remember that your €2 fare also entitled you to travel for another 80 mins or so (assuming a 10 min journey from Connolly to Raheny) for free on DART, Luas or Bus. If you were returning in the 90 mins your return fare would have been €2 total.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The fares have been undergoing phased adjustments to get to a more equitable basis.

When the next fare change happens later this year, this anomaly will be eliminated (It only applies to fare band 3 station combinations).

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gary_dunne

It's the same with the Luas from Dundrum to Town, €3.80 for a return ticket but extra 20c. for tapping on twice with the leap card. Now I'm not buying tickets to save 20c but it's odd alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Again that will change later this year with the cash return fare rising in both cases to EUR 5.20, with the LEAP fare staying at EUR 2 each way.

It boils down to trying to simplify the fares set up and reducing the number of different fares. They did it for LEAP in one go, but with cash fares they’re taking an additional fare change to complete it as it was too complicated to implement it all in one go.

For LUAS, the implementation of the recent fares determination this Autumn will result in just two cash fares (EUR 2.00 Single / EUR 4.00 Return for one zone, and EUR 2.60 Single / EUR 5.20 Return for all other journeys).

Similarly for Irish Rail, three cash fare bands will be merged into one thus creating just the short and long fares within the new Dublin City zone in a similar setup to LEAP, and the long return cash fare will also be EUR 5.20.

Advertisement