Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build semi D noise.

Options
  • 19-03-2024 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm curious what other people who are living in modern Semi Ds experience in terms of noise transfer between the houses? We have a new build, and while we were apprehensive about noise before buying, I was shocked at the extent of it. The family aren't particularly noisy people, but if the kids are playing upstairs they may was well be upstairs in our house. Guests have often asked if someone else was upstairs.

Moderately loud talking is clearly audible and for some reason if both bathrooms are in use at the same time you can hear nearly everything, the water splashing in the shower etc. Doors closing, light switches, plugs being plugged in. It's all there. If someone is walking barefoot downstairs you hear the low bassy footsteps as they walk. It feels like sharing a house with another family.

They go to bed early and stuff, and kids will play, I don't think it's anyone's fault but I'm just wondering if this is the experience everyone is having? It's quite suffocating because everything we do we know they are likely to hear. Or could there potentially be an issue with insulation or a gap somewhere in the party wall?

Oh and their water pump is quite loud, so I assume ours is too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

Sound testing in semi-d's and apartments is a requirement in the Building Regulations. I'd look for the test result from the engineer and if he does not have it then contact Building Control. What can be done about it is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Mikros

If it is any help we moved into a new build semi-D and can hear practically nothing from our neighbours (family of four, 2 young children). Either they are incredibly quiet people or the sound insulation has been done right. The only noise I regularly hear is some low level bass tones from what I'm guessing is a subwoofer or soundbar directly beside the party wall and even that is only when our own house is very quiet at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

We moved in to a new build semi d almost 2 years ago and the only noise we hear is if they're drilling or using a hammer, or anything that is unusually excessive.

I'd follow the advice just given and look into it, doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Interesting. That's what I had hoped for when moving here, but was really shocked when the neighbours moved in.

Advertisement