Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Whitethorn Slips

Options
  • 19-03-2024 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭

I'm going planting whitethorn slips for acres. I know you are supposed to cut them at an angle close enough to the ground and the sharp points of those are ideal for poking up through plastic.

Thing is they have little bits of buds on them. I'm reluctant to cut them on the basis the plant isn't dormant is putting energy into growing. If I cut them will it kill them does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I hope not. I cut a couple of hundred meters back over the wknd and they were all budding.

They’ll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Thanks, fair play. Im good with a chainsaw, This is a relatively new departure for me. I dont have a clue tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Do they need to be fenced from cows?

Yep....think the distance between the fences need to be 1.5m. Ill have a read before I start in earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do you have to put down plastic or can you use wool? Would there be much difference in cost?

• Advertisement

I cant use wool as i wouldnt even know where to get it never mind the cost...

I have heard it works well though....dunno how lads put it down, just lay out fleeces along the length of the hedgerow

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

I Used wool.Gathered it in half tonne bags after shearing this year.Only thing that it's good for.Just scattered around the base of the trees.Only had enough to cover bout 700 trees from 70 sheep.800 are left uncovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would it blow everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

It hasn't so far.its too heavy and wet..Its down 6 weeks now hasn't moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Not really. Once you have good big pieces of fleece it will stay on the ground. Have been using it here on the garden for a mulch for the last 3 or 4 years. It will keep down weeds to some degree but the bigger more aggressive weeds like docks and creeping buttercup will always find a way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Do you have to put something down for the acres scheme or can you leave it bare and weed it a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

afaik you don’t have to put something down but you can’t let the weeds and grass take over it either.

to save yourself hardship in the near future you are better off putting down some sort of weed control

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

See Farmers Journal and article on fireblight disease.... apparently problem is worst with whitethorn imports to meet demand for Acres scheme. Not enough domestic nursery output, which wasn't considered by the powers that be.

Believe me id rather not put them down at all but thats the agreement

Theyre bought now a good while ago now, im not sure if they are native or not, I must check but ill be fucked if im shelling out for another load of them

Im sure if some lad inspects and i say I was concerned about fireblight id get short change

I wish theyd consider stuff like this when they are setting the rules and regs....especially after the cock up with ash dieback but thats what you are dealing with I suppose

Allowing a farmer to cut slips and let them root and plant over two years would have eased the pressure but everyone wouldnt get their cut then I suppose!.....

As I understand it they were warned the supply wouldnt be there to meet demand by the the growers/garden centres etc

Seems to be a common theme with whatever mandarins and their flunkies set the rules.....practicality/realism isnt to the fore....I suppose telling the truth on the auld the powerpoint during your presentation at the meetings isnt as impressive as unrealistic targets you assure everyone will be no problem under your guidance....the more things change etc.

Ive watched so many yes men all fur coat and no knickers climb around me over the years Im beginning to regret having a word being straight if the other party is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Do Whitethorn grow if you cut slips of them? Though they only grew from the haw.

I may have shot from the hip, I thought you could but not sure, thought I remembered my father doing it years ago but cant remember the level of success if any

In fairness It wasnt just whitethorn you could plant initially and any measure to alleviate demand where there isnt matching supply or give the suppliers a long lead in time to match demand mightve been warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yes they do, I threw a few down as an experiment a couple of years ago and they're growing away grand. Willow would be another one, and I believe hazel though have not tried it yet. The same should apply to strawberries/raspberries is someone wanted to add diversity to the hedge.

Great video above for tips on how to do it

Id love to stick strawberries and raspberries in!

Presume you are talking the tiny native ones, can they be bought easily?..would they die out of it quick?..Id put a couple of wild cherry in too if they can be easily got

• Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah, I've done it with raspberries anyway, was told it can work for strawberries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah.. you'd wonder about some of the lads and lassies who plan these schemes. The left hand doesn't seem to know what the right is up to. Are they not capable of figuring out basic things like supply. Propagating your own maybe the best way for most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Largely, inspection won't be a visit. It will be you uploading the invoice and the authentation slip from you supplier.

Advertisement