Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breitling Avenger Automatic 42

Options
  • 18-03-2024 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a little steer here - I am looking at getting a new watch and have been leaning towards a Breitling Avenger Automatic 42. I am looking for something that has a little bit of a balance between contemporary and traditional if that isn't a bit of a strange statement. I don't want anything too busy as I have a couple of chronos already.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer the Avenger with the bracelet or the leather strap but I really like the look of the green one.

I haven't seen it in the flesh yet and am hoping that it is in the Paul Sheeran store so I can have a look at it next weekend.

I'm looking at a max budget of €5k

At that price point is there something else that you'd recommend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I like the look of some of the newer models since Kern took over at Breitling. But not this. For a new model, I think it looks at least 15 years old. My main gripe is that I'd find it hard to justify 5k on a watch, with an ETA movement, thats rated for a maximum of 38hrs. Makes some of his old offerings at IWC look like much better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

If the look of the Avenger Automatic 42 appeals to you, then go for it.

There are many who believed that Breitling had lost its way for a long time and hark back to the Schneider era of genuine tool watches with a little dusting of bling, as opposed to outsized, overstyled pieces that look better under a fur cuff than shirt sleeve.

The thing with a brand like this is that there will always be a cadre of fans for whom each era appeals, but it which ones endure that count. And this slightly retro move seems to be playing well, sales wise, anyway.

Just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’ve the avenger 43 which is the same watch only slightly larger than the new 42 mm .Its a great watch , reasonably thin ,comfortable to wear but it’s not worth 5 grand.I paid just under 3k a couple of years ago and that’s its max value for me.Maybe look for a pre owned 43mm for better value?

Advertisement