Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An tÚachtarán Nua

Options
  • 18-03-2024 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Not sure about the spelling above but just curious to hear what are people’s thoughts on the new/incoming president Jarlath Burns …… don’t recall much about him as a player other than he played senior with Armagh, he has appeared regularly on TG4 (well able to speak the gaeilge)….Donal og has expressed some reservations about him being a ‘football man’ and how this could negatively impact hurling. how much influence does a president actually have in what is a very democratic organisation…..also a three year term is probably too short to enact any major change…..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

Unlike his predecessor he's totally immersed in the GAA for the right reasons. He also comes across as a warm friendly person. With regards to Cusack's concern about his main interest being in football - the previous president didn't show much interest in hurling.

I'd say he'll do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Donal og is not the oracle of president selection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

“I really felt that this particular committee – and Jim isn’t the only big name; Malachy O’Rourke is on it, Eamonn Fitzmaurice, Colm Collins; Colm Nally is on it – needed big names from the world of football, who have managed at the highest level. They understand the game, how to coach the game.

I met Jim Gavin four times. I’ve been having meetings with him now since OCTOBER. I have to be honest; I have never met somebody as impressive as he is. Even all of the preparations we have done, linking the rationale back to the strategic plan, doing all of that work that has to be done, putting out the terms of reference.

“He thinks in a way that nobody else I know thinks. His higher-level thinking skills are incredible. I know that he is going to bring all of those skills to that post, as well as all of the incredible people, who are on the committee.”

While I'm reading the above I'm thinking The hurling development panel is still not finalized.... Now, look at the language being used here and the attitude to hurling in contrast to football:

“I will call this initiative Tiomáint and it will be driven from the coaching and games section along with the inspirational figures on this committee, many of whom have been selected for having successfully created hurling in their own clubs,” said Burns.

“What I have done with this hurling development committee is take members of clubs that have been set up in those areas. There won’t be any big names like on the football review committee. These are just brave people, who have set up hurling clubs in areas where football is dominant and have succeeded.

“It’s a very, very long-term project, which will see probably no benefits in three years, maybe in 10 but that’s the way the GAA need to be thinking – 20 years ahead.”

One attitude is excitement for the immediate future with references to the highest level and strategic high level thinking, the other is talking of no benefits and mentioning areas where football is dominant. He's saying all the right things to football people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Assuming the quotes above are burns’ (which isn’t thst obvious) then you are saying that Donal óg is correct in his view that Burns’ tenure will not be good for hurling….?

I wouldn't involve Donal Og in what I'm saying. He's not relevant to my own remarks.

I'm making a comment on Burn's opening speech (I don't know how it could be more obvious that it's him I'm quoting - given that it's him who set up the panels). I'm pointing out that he already had a high profile football panel in place, ready to go, before he was officially president. He doesn't have the hurling panel ready. He was meeting Jim Gavin for a long time.

I've shown the words he is using to contrast the attitude to both codes.

There's no way of knowing if he will be good or not for hurling at this early stage. But to me, this is not a start that suggests equality or the same level of interest. Seems like there's a lot of high profile expertise, at a national level, being put into football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

I know nothing of Burns intentions.

FWIW I've never been that big a fan of his even before now.

Before making any judgements on any preference for Football I would state that every president seems to be asked 'what can be done with Football?'

Now I reckon the perception that Football is always on the brink of ruin to be completely unfair and at times hysterical its always driven by large sections of the media so there always appears to be a need for action, hence the high profile football review group.

The opposite is true of hurling, which seems to be more 'will ye leave the game alone for flip sake'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Does the GAA President really have much power?

He'll need to present a lot of medals and cups

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

From the quotes you provided the panels seem to have a different function, the football panel has to do with rules and structures while the hurling panel is more about spreading the game while leaving the actual play alone as the previous speaker suggested. As a consequence, different membership makes sense. Appointing big shot hurling names from Munster may not be the best set of people to suggest how to improve hurling north of the M6.

McCague's presidency rejected the ideas of the Football Development Committee by creating a new subcommittee with Duffy that produced the All-Ireland qualifier system, which was the association’s first move away from a purely knock-out format in the football championship.

True to an extent.

But, one panel is ready. The other is not. There's no getting around that.

Surely, you can have both. People who know the ground level, who have been on the ground starting hurling in football clubs/areas - and a mix of other people who have pull in the wider world and knowledge of the ins and outs of the gaa and government system, and what the established counties have in contrast. Surely, that's required... you need people who can pull money, sponsorships and experts in. But does a football man want a hurling panel with that power? New clubs need money...

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't find a mention of a new director of hurling...

Also Burns says a lot of things that I like but also uses a lot of words that I think do damage - like threatening and madness (to me, it's not the right message no matter how he uses those words): "That's a very long-term project where we create a new culture where football clubs can also play hurling without threatening football and by doing so effectively give a whole new generation of young people a chance to play the game that we all want to play, and I unfortunately never did have that chance myself. If you look at the people who I have picked for the hurling committee their names are not high profile, but they have the right amount of vision and madness to say, "I can go into a football area to start a hurling club and we'll start from the bottom and keep working our way up until we have a senior team".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

So you are basing your judgment on cherry picking words and quotes from some presentation/speech he gave prior to becoming president……..I don’t see how you can read much negativity into the last quote from him that you use above………🤔

Fair enough. It's from his opening speech as president and interview with gaa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Burns son in law is Wexford hurler Diarmuid O'Keeffe so might have a bit of a gra towards the game from his connection there, seen him at plenty of championship games over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,508 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Jarlath did an hour long interview on BBC Radio Ulster 17 April 2024. Obviously covers a lot of matters in NI. I thought he came across very well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001y8xx

Advertisement