Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No explanation from a mod

Options
  • 18-03-2024 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭

I was accused of posting something inhumane and subsequently thread banned. When I asked for an explanation from the mod Ten of Swords I got no reply.

I would like to request a reply why this was seen as inhumane as the same statement about the conditions people in tents were facing was being raised on every news outlet in Ireland.

I also note that most of the moderators seem to be very quick at thread banning posters with certain views.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Agree 100 per cent with your third paragraph.If your views don’t agree with the orthodoxy there is no point in posting here.

OP it’s Patrick’s weekend, the mod isn’t going to ignore you but in fairness it’s highly possible they haven’t been online much.

Also there is the consideration they may receive a large volume of replies and PM’s and they just haven’t gotten to yours yet.

I promise you no mod on boards is out to get you or make you upset but we’re humans just like you and we do have a life outside boards. This isn’t a job for us!

My advice is just remain patient and ToS will be back to you in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

While posts used to wum two threads about 1 toilet based on a tweet that said facilities and not 1 toilet, yet the last I checked the lies and misinformation still exists.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is what you posted

"Sorry the questions are lost on you.

I'm lost also trying to figure out why people are so set on destroying our towns and cities while ignoring the diesesed immigrants lying in freezing conditions in their own excrement.

Totally mind-boggling."

Readers can make their own minds up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@malinheader

I appreciate that you PM'd me on Saturday however this weekend has been particularly busy for me and I haven't been online as much as I would normally be.

That said - the accompanying note I provided with your post was "Disgraceful dehumanizing post". Beasty has posted your comment in its entirety above.

In addition, you have picked up seven warnings in just that thread since January. You have been given every opportunity to reevaluate your posting style and you clearly haven't.

Please let me know if that answers your query.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

No doesn't answer it at all for me.

What I posted was fact and true as stated by every news station in the country.

Dehumanising to me would be people still backing this policy of bringing people into this country to have to live in these conditions. That was my point.

And I still think that it's not my posting style that is the problem here. Looking at the posters who are thread banned a large majority are of a similar thinking on the matter of immigration wouldn't you agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Mods are hard come by, it takes a certain mentality and I reckon many are attention seekers on a power trip and boards is perfect for them, there are a few good ones. I would say the admin / owners know there are a lot of plonkers who are mods but that's often what's attracted to the role and they need them even if they are biased, its a pity as its a slow death for boards.ie

• Advertisement

Would you call this an inhumane post.

It is a fact that is happening in this country at the moment.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

No problem with dehumanising posts in certain other threads. In fact they appear to be approved of there.

Not my battle and no opinion on OPs request, but could not resist. Going to be my only comment on this, too.

So do I, but in my opinion the dehumanising is being done by the Irish government putting these people in these conditions and the people who can't see that the country cannot except anymore until proper services are put in place.

So is it my post that is dehumanising to you and TOS. And not the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Living the life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

You have received 7 warnings in the one thread in the space of about 8 weeks. That is almost unprecedented. You have proved yourself to be an immense timesink of mod time and many of your warnings are for rhetoric about immigrants - I can paste examples if you wish.

I am of the opinion the post you made was deliberately dehumanizing towards immigrants and refugees, and not social commentary as you have suggested. That is why you were warned and I stand over that warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Unfortunately those threads are currently all trolled by the same group of posters who are pro government policy - roughly a half dozen of them, same all the time. The large majority of other posters on those threads are ordinary frustrated citizens who are concerned about how Irish society is changing beneath our feet. So this pro state policy group continually push out the same bland justifications, whilst also trying to engage others into provoking more acerbic responses, thus getting them banned or infracted by over zealous moderation. It's unfortunate but you'd have to conclude that boards.ie is not a suitable vehicle for such sharing of views.

Well I totally disagree with your opinions as much as you disagree with mine.

I would of liked you to answer the question of dehumanising on the Government’s behalf and the people who support this as the point that the post was meant and also to the thread banned being a massive majority against an uncontrolled immigration system.

As for being a timesink as you put it ,it's a scunner for me having to find the Time myself for this knowing that this will probably come to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Why did you use the word “Rhetoric” there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This obsession with trying to control what's posted by mods has always been an issue on this site, but it's gotten to ridiculous levels in recent times.

Posts now are deleted without comment because they're "off topic" or "anecdotal" or some other spurious reason for interfering in the flow of the thread.

Boards is a DISCUSSION site. As with any discussion, it will pull in other related subjects or issues as it flows. So long as the posts aren't abusive, advocating illegal activities, or otherwise problematic for the site as a whole then Mods should frankly stay out of it.

It's not for some anonymous poster with more buttons than the rest of the community to moderate the narrative. When pulled up on it the default explanation of "volunteers" will be trotted out as the wagons circle with more posters with lots of forums under their names arrive. It's nonsense, it's childish, and it's unnecessary.

If individuals can't do the "job" properly, with enough time to do it rather than just deleting posts unnecessarily then they should step down and let someone else do it - preferably someone other than the aforementioned users with too many forums as it is.

This site is already having enough trouble providing a stable platform and retaining users as it is without unnecessary "control freak" tendencies from some charged with keeping an eye on things.

Of course, none of this will be listened to or taken on board and this thread will no doubt be closed soon enough with the "OP issue addressed " type of response that is often hidden behind when these uncomfortable threads arise.

God forbid a bit of self reflection and actually listening to the users generating the content (what's left of them) be considered!

tbh what you described just sounds like reading YouTube comments under a video.

If every thread was left to wander into random tangents slightly or somehow related to the topic then the discussions would be all over the place and an absolute disaster.

it actually is common practice among many many sites like this, Reddit included as one of the most popular, to moderate and curate comments that fail to adhere to certain expectations or standards or are completely irrelevant.

Disaster in whose eyes? I think that most threads generally self moderate.. Tangents come up, are briefly discussed and the topic moves on.

It's only when some individuals do this to deliberately derail the discussion or provoke others that it becomes an issue - and let's face it it's usually the same handful of posters across the various threads. If I can spot it then I'm sure Mods can too. That's what needs to be dealt with.

Dealt with how exactly? This is the thing I find a lot with these complaints.

The mods are shite!

How can we be better then?

Be less shite!

very helpful thanks.

It's very simple.. Take the time to actually read the thread and the content/intent before taking action based on reports. Reports that are probably submitted by the same individuals that are a big part of the problem.

In over 20 years here I've only ever reported a handful of posts, but in any of the "controversial" threads (immigration, Government, gender etc) there will be the same few posters whose only contribution seems to be to deliberately bait, misrepresent posters or information, or attempt to derail the topic to the point of closure. It's very obvious when it happens, it's almost always the same users, and it continues across multiple threads. The OPs in these threads are then littered with banned users (very off-putting to a new reader by the way) but very obviously those who "took the bait" in most cases.

Now don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that threads should become echo chambers or that opposing views shouldn't be welcome, but it's at the point where you can tell that the same posters are just being disruptive for the sake of it.

If I can spot it then so can the Mods. If they don't have time to read threads fully then add more Mods or leave it pass. Ill-informed moderation is just as bad as no moderation.

Raichu, a fair and level playing field has to be allowed for any kind of proper discussion to be had. I'm sure if you look at the start of all these threads you will see that the thread banned users are massively being from one side of the argument. And some of the posts which the posters are getting warnings for are laughable. I'm not labelling all Mods but do you not think certain moderators let their own opinions favour one side of a discussion.

Also I still think my post was not dehumanising in any form as it was fact what was happening. So how do I try and get my thread ban lifted or who has the final say on this matter. I Don't want to bother TOS as I have been told I'm a Timesink and do not want risk another warning. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭well24

Good luck with that.

I find Mods are bullies, picking out certain individuals.

I got banned caused i said something that had been said several times by other posters in the same thread, being singled out.

They are destroying Boards, pointless really trying to have any sort of discussion.

Probably get banned form this as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭well24

LOL, so funny.

Mods actions speak louder than words...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

To me I think their just needs to be a bit more clarity on what is actually allowed.

If you go into for example the trump thread all sorts of abuse is grand because he is not liked.

If you go into immigration threads, I see people called nazis, racists, far right etc which is hugely insulting to posters.

Why is all that allowed but the post here deleted and the user banned for what is a comment of what exactly is taking place.

• Advertisement

Thanks exactly my point. What I stated in my post is exactly what is taking place so I think some people would need to have a long hard think to who is causing these dehumanising issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement