Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night vision sight thoughts

Options
  • 17-03-2024 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭

Please give me your opinions on these thoughts.

1. So now you need a restricted license for a night vision sight, BUT you don't get a licence for that sight, WHY?

2. So you pay the €80 fee for a sight restricted license but cannot use it on all your firearms, WHY?

3. Is it just me? Or are we all getting rode again over the night vision law?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭keith s

1- You do get a license. States the make model and serial number. Even says, max rounds =0

2 - Autherization was /is for named rifles and had SE on each rifle licence you are autherized to use NV/Thermal add-ons with. With a stand alone restricted licence, you are allowed have / use NV /Thermal scope. You are also licensed to have/use any rifle you have a licence for....!

3 - Not just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

So, you cant just own an NV/Thermal/IR sight now? ie I have historically had SE on one licence. I can't recal when it went on there, either I checked a box years ago or they did when I had a renewal in case I owned one in the follow up to the fuff up when this was introduced, as I definitely also had S on this rifle licence from the initial application from years ago).

Can I own a NV sight on its own? I thought you could but that it only became a problem if fitted to a rifle. Have any rights been grandfathered in if this (SE) was on your licence from years ago, as I thought I had something else marked on the licences previously

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1. Do you mean you don't get a physical license, or that you can't get you license through a local super? If the former, my understanding it that you do get a license.
    2. What do you mean cannot use it on all your firearms? If you have a NV license for the purpose of fox control, you should be able to use it for any firearm that you would use for that. Obviously, might be be ok to stick it on a comp pistol.
    3. The only difference should be the license requirement is being enforced, usage should not ability/situation change compared to the authorisation system. However, emphasis on should. Your mileage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's been a legal requirement for ~15 years. Only just enforced more stringently recently. The SE authorisation on a license is much more recent than that so unlikely that you could use that authorisation to claim a right to NV/IR license being grandfathered. Could certainly include is as part of the application though.

You can have a handheld night vision monocular/telescope without issue. The requirement specifically applies to a NV/IR sight, designed to be fitted to a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Galwayhunter

If lads are already in possession of a NV scope and applying for licence with FCA1, what do you put down in the "source of firearm" section?

Do you have to hand it in to dealer and get a docket as if you were buying it from him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Jim3592

You have to hand in unit to firearms dealer if you go looking for licence. I applied for the licence trying to do the right thing and had to hand in during the busiest time for year for foxing as sheep are lambing.On the FAC1 form,it doesn't ask what gun it is attached to so I would imagine that it could be swapped around between different guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tikkat3xEire

I own a Pard which I haven’t used in years , bought it back in 2017 /2018 I’d say . I want to go and get it licensed now as I intend on using it for foxing again . What would I need to do hand it into a RFD or explain I own it years? It was sourced privately in the uk so no private source details even

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Why would you have to hand it back?, you own it already, all you need is the pulse number of the dealer you got it from.

because it now requires a license and because I applied for the licence they knew I already had it in my possession.

I was told today that I need to get written permission from all the farmers I shoot and have their land address attached to the night vision application.

• Advertisement
Advertisement