Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your slurry/fodder situation?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

None of those things will be bad problems to have if they happen. All farmers would love those things to be happening on their farms today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Seadin

True but what I was saying was that normally in my situation I get the cattle out earlier to graze and im on top of my grass a bit better. This year will be different, making bales isn't an issue but trying to sell them can be an issue depending on demand or not. This year there has been a huge demand for bales wiyh fodder crisis for farmers. Next year might not be and could be a better year. Topping the fields to keep it from getting strong isn't an issue either but adds a bit more work to it. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

There will be demand for bales between fear of a repeat next year and low reserves on farms.

I've had a big surplus of grass last year and probably will again this year due to changing systems and selling the cows. Will scale up a bit more in calf rearing next year so will get back on top of it.

I've my own baler / wrapper and had no issues selling the surplus bales before the end of September. In the good weather early last year hay sold out of the field within hours of putting on DD, silage later was a bit slower from the yard. None of it traveled too far either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭stanflt

no slurry left and no silage left

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

If you're willing to come to west cork I've loads slurry free to take away..... Buying in bales 3 week's... On 4th round rain gunning yesterday. Just enough ti bring slurry few inches under slats.... Decided sheds being emptied tomorrow after tonight's rain passes. Its been too long.

Local coop selling bales 70 each and 20 rebate then... Word has it bales in from UK…

• Advertisement
Advertisement