Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "atmosphere" in the Aviva Stadium

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Plenty of people at Croke Park leave early to get the halftime pints in, and don't come back until well into the second half

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ted222

It’s a different experience to the old days but not necessarily worse.

Years ago you stood on wet uncovered terraces and there was a sense of collective suffering that perhaps created “atmosphere”.

It’s a much more comfortable experience these days and perhaps that’s the problem. There’s less likelihood of contributing to producing atmosphere when you’re comfortably seated with a beer in one hand and a burger in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Or the comfort brings a different kind of fan.

Saw a similar change when concerts went online and people didn't have to queue overnight in the pissin rain for tickets anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tickets, be it for major sporting events or concerts, are now prohibitively expensive, and that definitely attracts more casual fans, rather than hard-core fans. If it was more of the latter, you'd get a better atmosphere, it's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭flatty

The problem is the 6 nations. It might get better now England look good again. The Welsh are so poor at present that they brought on a player who had played 2 hours as a professional, and never started a game. Italy have been an anchor on excitement for over a decade. Hopefully that will change, but I won’t hold my breath, and Scotland are inconsistent with not much depth. It has been boring. I turn over most games after 15 minutes as the result is inevitable. The best games by far this year were France vs England and England vs Ireland. I never ever thought I’d say this, but I enjoyed the England game more than any of our wins in the 6 nations. If England remain strong, there will be a brilliant atmosphere in Dublin next year and in the Aviva. All of the other games were grim enough and predictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭flatty

Two further observations

1. The scrum has become a blight on the game. As soon as a scrum is called, the clock should be stopped and only restarted once the ball is put in. It would stop loads of messing and time wasting and running down a sinbin.
    2. The referee can and does have an inordinate effect on a game, calling penalties which could have gone the other way, or not at all, and it detracts from the contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Grim and predictable?

Italy 24-27 England (OK, Italy were never close enough in normal time to win that one, but still)

Wales 26 - 27 Scotland (Wales looked well beaten but almost came back to win)

Scotland 16 - 20 France (Scotland could and arguably should have won)

England 16 - 14 Wales (England needed late scores to win)

France 13 - 13 Italy (Italy should have won with last kick)

Italy 31 - 29 Scotland (Scotland almost coming back to win)

England 23 - 22 Ireland, one point win at the death.

France 33 - 31 England, two point win almost at the death.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement