Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland match thread

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Granted there is considerable random fluctuation in these things but I think going from losing to Ireland to beating England is an improvement.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What team a player might theoretically start for if he were another nationality is irrelevant. The question is who was the best player in the tournament and Earl clearly outplayed Doris, Alldritt, Wainwright, Dempsey and Cannone/Vintcent (and as much as we can compare across positions, everyone else to my mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

England limped past Italy

Lost to France

Lost to Scotland

Struggled badly v Wales

I would say Ireland in this tournament gave 5 team performances, a few players stood out for me (Aki, JGP, Nash, Beirne and Porter) but it was largely performances from the collective That won the title. Other coaches would love to have had those sort of collective performances across the 5 games. Italy probably the only other team to get that sort of collective effort.

France, England and Scotland didn't. If your relying on individual performances you won't be successful in rugby. Gregor Townsend would love to have his team perform as a collective even to 70% of what AF gets from Ireland.

Ireland were poor v England and probably should have closed it out. That's the sort of thing that might stand to them in the next few years. Even v Scotland, poor execution in the 22 cost us a comfortable win but thats not a bad place to be in with a meaningful trophy on the table. But the collective effort got us into their 22 for most of the second half.

Scotland basically depend on Lionel Blair at 10 to have a good day to produce something but when he goes missing they have nothing else. And he goes missing regularly. They drool over DVDM but he is basically sh1te. He cannot perform the basics in rugby.

I'd hate to see your DIY projects if this is your idea of a straight line :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChB3YMOm8Gs

All true but once again irrelevant to the question of Player of the tournament. It's a frivolous award, voted by the public, and only some positions are really ever considered (a prop can have a 5-star performance in every game and won't be nominated). It's not the overall Team of the tournament with 6 options and one clear winner.

Wales were absolute gubbins, but I'd probably have Tommy Reffell in my team of the tournament (15 players from across the 6 nations). He'd get the unofficial Parisse award by a landslide. And he probably wouldn't have played if Jac Morgan was available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ingo1984

Earl in current form would start for most teams. Nailed on number 8 for Lions in current form.

Hed the third most meteres gained of any player in the tournament. Next highest ranked forward was 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

cool, doesn't change the fact he's useless when not given easy running lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭ersatz

He's emblematic of Scotland's limitations, an excellent runner and finisher but those other aspects of his game that would help the team have not improved an inch. Not a distributor, doesn't show up in midfield or even use his size very effectively as a defender in rucks. These are the kinds of things I'd say he would have developed more in an Irish context but in Scotland he's the belle of the ball because he finishes moves and scores tries. Everything about that team would be better if players like VDM added new elements to their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He's an absolute liability in defense too. Not just his tackling, but effort and positioning too. There was one of the Italian tries, where the FB was up in the line and he made zero effort to come off of his wing to cover the back field

Advertisement