Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best sat nav

Options
  • 16-03-2024 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all, after getting such excellent ideas the last time I asked a question here I've decided this is the place to go. I live in the very north of Donegal and have never driven to Dublin but need to drive to the airport in a couple of weeks and everyone says it's easy but I'm nervous. I'm not a nervous driver in general, I consider myself to be a competent, confident, alert driver but it's just because I've never done it before. So I'm wondering what would be the best sat nav to guide me? Any suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

Put your phone in a holder and use Google Maps

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Google maps or Waze apps on your phone. Get one of those suction mobile phone holders for your windscreen if your car don't have apple car play or android auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ash40

I'm trying to avoid using my phone. I do have the suction thingy but it doesn't stay up very well so a new, better one of those wouldn't go amiss but does the phone zoom in the closer you get to a junction and tell you which lane to go into? I know it tells you on the road signs but id like a second means also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

It does zoom in and tell you what lane to use

Ah perfect, I'll give that a go before hand and that might do the job! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

As you haven't done that drive before, I think your biggest enemy will be fatigue.

It's a solid three hour dirve on a good day, and if you're not used to it, you might not feel yourself getting tired. I'm very used to driving across the country and 2.5 - 3 hours is really my limit in a comfortable car before I need to take a break.

Preempt getting tired by planning I'd say 2 stops along the way if you aren't used to it. Get a coffee, or keep a bottle of Coke or Red Bull in the car to give you boost if you need it along the way.

Remember to have a phone charging cable in the car too, 3+ hours of Sat Nav will run it down quickly.

I had this car holder and it's pretty good as it doesn't bounce around too much. https://www.gomibo.ie/accessory-detail/belkin-f8m978bt-universal-car-holder-black

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Garmin are the best sat nav units, you wouldn't have to worry about the signal dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Waze app on a phone is the best option.

Standalone satellite navigation units are a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Also make sure you have the voice guidance turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I have used nothing but these phone holders for years. No suction disc to fall off regularly and doesn't block your view. Used every day and replaced around 4 years when they often start to lose their grip.

Also I use google maps at home and abroad....Car and Bike. Probably the best free navigation app out there. I have tried Waze, and Sygic (Sygic is a paid App, very good for offline use, but Google Maps beats it with it's numerous free features).

Post edited by mgbgt1978 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You can download the map onto your phone before leaving if mobile data should be a worry. You won't drop the GPS signal anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Some newer cars have android auto or apple car play. You connect phone to car typically using a usb cable and the Google maps sat nav appears on the car radio. This gives you a bigger screen and is easier to use.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've got built in sat nav in my car, but I find Waze/Google Maps much easier to use using Android Auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I use my phone and also a tomtom sav nav that I bought around 2015 for around 120 euro.

The tomtom is better to use but google maps is more up to date and you can find lots of things like businesses that arent available on the tomtom.

you should check the route on google maps and use street view to see what lanes you should be in etc before the trip, this will make things easier for the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you want to buy a standalone satnav I have a fax machine and a quill you could buy if you were also interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭GPoint

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭GPoint

OP , seriously just use google maps , it is very good at estimating time of arrival.

Also spend some time on the big screen at the computer and look in street view mode in maps at the major junctions and turns where you would need to merge or exit . This helps a lot and you will recognise places when you will be driving .

Safe trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

Use Google maps. Leave early and if you go wrong it'll reroute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

@kirving I'm well used to driving long distances but just never really down the motorway which I will admit I'm more than a smidge anxious about, but you are right, planning ahead is the way to go 😁

This is a really good idea as someone also mentioned above, to look at the junctions and lanes on street view before the trip!! Thanks for the advice!! 🙂

Yes this seems to be the sensible thing to do. I'll sit down a while before I go and go through the route. I'm making a mountain out of a molehill I'm being told lol but it's just the not having driven the route before!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

Google maps is great.

To become accustomed with Google Maps, use it on a few local trips before the airport trip. You will learn how 'she' gives instructions and directions.

As another poster said make sure you bring a cable for charging.

Best of luck.

Another thing I do is drive slow as you like while trying to get into the correct lane, don't worry about impatient drivers who are used to the road you are on.

VERY good advice! Thankfully I am blessed with the "not giving a fig" gene especially when it comes to impatient drivers, of which there are plenty here in Donegal. Thank you very much for the advice, it is greatly appreciated!

Hey OP, I recently enough made my first trip up to Dublin (only got my full licence in feb) via motorway and I was absolutely **** myself!!

One thing that helped me was definitely using google maps with the audio ON and keeping a good eye on making sure I was in the correct lane. The M50 is absolutely crazy at times but as said above just take your time and feck the impatient lads. There’s overtaking lanes for a reason!

I pretty much stuck to the left lane and only changed to take an exit or continue on as necessary.

I went out to IKEA both trips but on the second one took a spin out to the airport for the sake of getting used to it a bit. Wasn’t bad at all actually!

if you generally avoid the motorway I would suggest you try getting some driving on it locally ahead of the trip though. M50 is VERY busy and I wouldn’t have handled it I don’t think if I didn’t take a few spins on the M11 towards Arklow first just to get the feel for motorway driving.

• Advertisement

Also, don't forget the obvious - the signposts! Keep an eye on them.

Also, make a post-it note of the road numbers you will be using e.g.

R103 - N27 - N31 - N2 - M2 etc

Another post-it in reverse for the trip home.

Post edited by Esel on

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement