Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension if retire early

Options
  • 15-03-2024 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

I have a pension with my job (through New Ireland). If I was to retire early (50 or younger) could I drawdown the €200k tax free lump sum when I turn 50 and still allow the remainder to compound until I’m 60?

I know I will have to have minimum €800k in the pension to be able to get the €200k.

I presume if I was allowed to take the €200k lump sum that the balance could not grow to more than €1.8m afterwards without being liable for penalties?

I am only in my 30’s but would just like to know that if I continue to max out my pension now it will be worth it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You need to check the terms of your particular pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Happyhouse22

As said depends on individual pension rules

But theoretically should be possible to “retire” at 50 , take the lump sum and keep the rest in an ARF, then at age 60 yiu would have to start drawing 4% a year

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

Ok thank you - I will request more information about my particular pension scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Is this a windup having 800k minimum in your pension in your 30s.

Nah I think they mean having 800k by about age 50 - which I imagine is quite doable if you have a high salary, make the max contribution and experience decent growth.

• Advertisement

The main thing to find out is what type of pension it is, if it’s a pan occupational pension there should be no problem taking the lump sum aged 50 and then leaving the rest to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

What is a pan occupational pension do you mind me asking?

I should have been clearer - if I had €800k in my pension already, I think I’d nearly retire now!! The aim is to have this by 50. I’m lucky to have a high enough salary and plan to max out annually if I can. I’m also invested into high risk funds which if it goes my way, over the long term (15 years approx.) should make me hopefully around 10% return. That’s how I’ve estimated having €800k+ by the age of 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Consider maximising AVC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why would you accept 10% return average on a high risk fund? 10% is what you get from a standard global index/S&P500 fund and on top of that high risk funds tend to be expensive (1.5% - 3% annual fee) which then require an even higher return to offset the fee and the additional risk (an index fund should be 0.5% at highest and most are .1% to .2%).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well we don't know what the OP has actually invested in nor their perception of risk...

The general consensus for a well balanced portfolio, including rebalancing is between 6% and 8%, so I think the projections are probably off in any case.

I am invested in the Ifunds equities S12 fund which has an average return of 11.4% over the last 10 years and the Prime Equities S12 fund which has had an average return of 10.5% over the last 5 years. These have been categorised as high risk by New Ireland but they basically do track the stock market. I am hoping for similar returns over the next 10 years. Obviously that is no guarantee. I don’t have to retire early but it would be nice to be able to access my pension lump sum if I do decide to retire early. I have been reading up a lot about FIRE lately.

I’m paying 0.88% in charges annually.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yes. That is one of them. I am 50% in that and 50% in this one:

https://www.newireland.ie/view-document/303344-PRIME_Equities_Flyer.pdf

Advertisement